3. Carnival Elation
I chose this cruise as a Christmas Birthday treat for my Mom. I normally cruise with NCL or RC. We were more Interested in the ports of call more so the ship at the time of booking. If it weren't for the awesome time we had on the excursions, this trip would have been a bust. Embarkation was easy. We had a 12:30 schedule and walked straight through. We are at Tiffany's, and our luggage was being dropped off as soon as we got to our cabin. We were in U161 ocean view aft, right near the elevators. The window was dirty. The cabin was spacious, with a nice bathroom layout. The only thing I didn't like about the cabin was the bed on the wall. It was ugly to look at and should not be in a room with two people. I decorated our door and the stewards complimented it. Food: we chose my time dining for flexibility. The service was extremely slow. The dining room decor was dull and outdated gray. The early and late dining room was prettier with aqua to brighten up the gray. Both menus were the exact same. We found the buffet dinner food in Tiffany's to be better and served at warmer temps. Guy's Burger was okay; nothing to write home about. The meat was not seasoned, just greasy. It was annoying to smell the grill on the Lido deck all day. This would annoy me if I were vegan. IguanaCantina was good and fresh! Chefs Table was a highlight of this ship. I highly recommend it! Overall, the food was better than Norwegian. Entertainment: there was a lot of dead space in this ship with small club areas and lounges. They were pretty empty when I walked by. Atrium: old and outdated. The steps were not pretty like other ships I've been on. The holiday decor was dark and old looking. Serenity Deck: a joke! Cramped up loungers. Nothing fancy at all. Two hot tubs that got foamy and dirty very quickly. People were boiling in them with drinks for hours at a time. I stayed away when I noticed no one was getting out to use the restroom. Waterworks: cool feature. Ironically, I found this deck (11) to be the most serene. The water from slides was relaxing. The lounge chairs were not crowded at all. Issues: the first night there was a lot of rocking as mentioned in most recent reviews. There was also a lot of rocking on the last sea day. The Captain said it was due to a swell. A lot of people were sick in their cabins. It took me a couple of days to gain my equilibrium back and I'm a fit, distance runner. Kids- there were groups of teens were were unsupervised and straight up disrespectful. I know for sure parents booked cabins and allowed girls a slumber party type of vibe because no adult in room. They ran up and down the halls all night. They told the steward to "Shut the @$% up" when told to go to their cabin. There was a group of teen boys who stared like they were plotting something. I woke up on the lounger feeling someone around me. They were steps away looking at beach bag like they wanted to take something. Smaller kids were running all over the place too. I understand it is a vacation and holiday, but lack of home training. Dress code: was not enforced in main dining. I saw doorags and baseball caps. Ladies were coming in the buffet with bonnets and PJs you know they slept in. There were two Spades games with a loud family in Tiffany's. Super ghetto Spa: can you even call it that? The sauna was decent, but the steam room was musty and not working. The whole area needs to be updated. They gave my mom a $50 spa credit for her birthday. They wanted $75 for a pedicure. Yeah right! Entertainment: we went to the divas show. It was good. Ship overall: I will not sail with Carnival unless it is on a new, mega ship. It was embarrassing to see our ship in port next to others. To be honest, the other Carnival ships were larger, but had rust on them too. For the price we paid for a holiday sail, customers deserved much better. I'm glad I saved money booking independent tours. Disembarking took a long time because Customs was backed up. We left the ship around 9:00. Last thing...the Carnival Hub app was useful.

Rusty, old ship

Carnival Elation Cruise Review by GreakLakes

IguanaCantina was good and fresh!

Chefs Table was a highlight of this ship. I highly recommend it!

Overall, the food was better than Norwegian.

Dress code: was not enforced in main dining. I saw doorags and baseball caps.

Ladies were coming in the buffet with bonnets and PJs you know they slept in.

There were two Spades games with a loud family in Tiffany's. Super ghetto

Entertainment: we went to the divas show. It was good.

Last thing...the Carnival Hub app was useful.
GreakLakes’s Full Rating Summary