3. Carnival Glory
We chose this ship because we live close to port and it was a gift from our in-laws. I was trying to book from Miami on an MSC ship, but my in-laws wanted us to be closer to port. Everyone else was flying in, so we made the short drive. Two days before embarkation, I get a message from a facebook friend with a video of the Glory getting into an accident. Oh crap! We're not going to sail! By the next day, we get the information that we are going to sail, just we should board two hours later and we will have our ports re-arranged, as we will be leaving later (at midnight), in order to fix the hole in the Platinum restaurant. We arrive at port at 1:30 instead of 11:30 as we were scheduled. People are already on board. Great! We're missing vacation time. HOWEVER, within 10 minutes of walking into the terminal, we were on the ship. Single fastest embarkation ever. We immediately go to our in-laws room. They have a grand suite. It's HUGE. Tons of space. Then Red Sail for lunch and exploring. Red Sail is very good as is Blue Iguana. But we are very surprised by the BBQ restaurant. Outstanding. I love Guys (and heard dozens of people ask how they could have such good burgers consistently). We explore the ship and it's nice, but not very well stated. It's not garish, but it's not exciting either. It's incredibly clean throughout the ship, but it's also showing ares in needs improvements throughout. It's got paint chipping everywhere and the exterior isn't in great shape. Back to the voyage. We're supposed to leave at 5 p.m., obviously, but it's been rescheduled for midnight. They are working diligently to fix the ship. Dinner the first night was chaotic. Everyone is supposed to eat in the Golden Restaurant with anytime dining or in the buffet. We have a 30 minute wait for our party of 11. The dinner is rushed. It's fine, but it's not great or spectacular. We're supposed to be back to normal on night 2, so we'll reserve judgement until then. We retire to our room for the night. It's a very large oceanview stateroom. Plenty of room for us. We have three of these and have had more room in this stateroom than ever before on any of our 24 previous cruises, so that is nice. At 12:07 a.m., we haven't left, so I go to bed for the night figuring we're not leaving anytime soon. I wake at 7 a.m., and we're still docked in what is a very chilly, rainy New Orleans. We end up leaving at 10:15 a.m., which actually is nice. We can see the whole six hours of the Mississippi River as we get to open waters. Usually, you can't see all of it ever. After lunch, we get back to the room and we find a pleasant note. We are being given a $100 per stateroom OBC for our inconvenience AND a 1/7 refund on our cruise fare. I was not expecting this. Carnival really stepped up here. I don't know if they refunded anyone on the sailing that actually had the accident. As for the duration of the cruise, the food was very good, occasionally great, but mostly very good. The entertainment was lacking. We had a late dining time. Shows (the few that there were and those that were weren't all that great) were scheduled at 7:30 p.m., which was impossible for anyone with a scheduled dining time. We went to a couple, but had to leave before they finished for our 8:15 dining time. CD Cookie was enjoyable, but he repeated himself a lot. I think he did a great job coordinating activities and was generally enjoyable. We were able to go to the Platinum Restaurant on night 2. They did a great job getting it ready. It wasn't even noticeable that it was damaged and it looked like they lost about four tables. We went to the area on day one and it smelled awful there, a welding smell. By dinner on night two, it was all clean and smelled great. The dining team did great. We made our first stop on day 3 instead of day 2. It was Costa Maya instead of Cozumel. We were last in Costa Maya about 8 years ago. It's more built up than I remember. We hung out at the communal pool, ate nachos from a restaurant, did some shopping and went on the chocolate factory tour (my kid won a competition poolside and the "prize" was a 2-for-1 coupon to one of three places). Second stop was Mahogany Bay. It was a great day. We spent several hours at the beach. It's such a great stop compared to the town of Roatan itself. Third stop was Cozumel. It was our eighth time in Cozumel. If we stopped there first, we were going to go to Playa Mia, but since it was our last stop, we chose just to hang out in port and save some money. We shopped and went to Margaritaville (our inl-aws weren't up to doing much while we were in port ... they paid for the vacation, so we do what they want to). We were docked next to the Liberty, which looked like it barely had a scratch. Other things ... slot machines very tight ... very little on the television channels ... the carnival app was buggy ... my room had some extra charges we did not make (for a grand total of like $15, but since we had nearly $500 on OBC, we didn't worry about it much) ... lots of little problems (one of our rooms was unbearably hot, our TV just shut off after five minutes two of the seven nights, light switches didn't work in one of our rooms, we heard other things from other passengers that didn't work well around the ship or in their rooms). All in all, it was a great seven days. Not that you can have a bad day on a cruise ship. The refund was a great surprise. The ship looks old, but it was very clean. Probably wouldn't do the Glory again, but if I had to, I wouldn't turn it down.

Slow start, good cruise