3. Sky Princess
What a pleasure it was to be aboard the Sky Princess. As a solo traveler, I planned this cruise 18 months in advance and at no time was I disappointed, Embarkation was a little delayed due to the novo virus and the sanitisation of the ship, however we all had a seat to wait comfortable in the port of Rome. Not such a big deal, but there is always that 'I just want to get on' feeling. Rooms were not ready when we boarded, however the salty dog burger and bud light from the bar filled the gap nicely for an hour or two. Disembarkation was perfect, no issues at all, however I have been to the port may times and know the layout and where to get the shuttles to hotels etc. I booked a hotel for two nights as the airports and airfares were horrendous due to the thanksgiving weekend. It was no hardship to spend two nights in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale though before my long flight back home to Australia. The ship itself was spotless and the crew cared for it every day, from the decks cleaners, to the room stewards. It was perfect. I like the layout of the ship and as a long time cruiser only with Princess, I did not miss crooners at all and in fact loved the fact that the piazza was 'the place to be' after dinner for a spot of dancing. No partner required. My stateroom was a BB balcony and I loved it. Again, spotlessly clean and maintained by Jeffrey whom I wished I could bring home with me. The bed was super comfy and the linen was good quality. I always travel with my own pillow, however I ditched it in favour of the wonderful pillows in my stateroom. The balcony was excellent and I enjoyed several 4pm beverages either ocean gazing or port gazing. Some cruisers felt that it was difficult to identify which side of the ship you needed to head to when getting out of the lift. The carpets on each side are very slightly different - worth checking that out early. One side has a swirl of gold and the other side has a swirl of orange. Once you find it, no more criss crossing to find your stateroom. I generally dined in the MDR, always no share solo for breakfast and lunch so I could catch up on some work, but always a chance to quick chat with the couples beside me. Again, no disappointment for me with any meals. My breakfast was generally lovely plate of fresh fruit of my choosing and and delicious freshly made omlette. Both were well prepared and just the ticket to get me going for the day. Lunch again in the MDR and again always at the same table. The waitstaff, particularly Tatiana, were exceptional. Christina at the door always greeted me like a long lost friend. Dinner was traditional at the same table every night and I love that aspect of 'catching up with friends' over a delicious dinner. I have no complaints about the food - there were one or two dishes that were not to my taste, but I chose the wrong option - not the food. I did not catch any shows at all in the theatre, however I did enjoy the enrichment lectures albeit at 9am in the morning so the dancers could practice. I did miss the fact that there were no movies in the theatre during the day time, again, due to the dancers practicing. I also did not participate in the activities, however I was a watcher and the cruise director was generally very visible and friendly. Captain Laakonen, was wonderful and more visible than any Captain I have seen on any of the princess cruises. His noon broadcasts were filled with information and good humour. Loved the Elite cocktail parties. The service was outstanding by all member of the crew and staff. I have nothing but high praise for the efforts they put in to help us guests enjoy our holiday. Even though Novo was an issue for them and the extra workload was immense on them. Some have mentioned the hand washing before the buffet: On my 28 day portion, there were staff located there and everyone washed their hands prior to entering. (even though I was only going in for a cup of tea LOL) I went on shore excursions through princess for each of the ports. Yes, I find they may be a little more expensive but really, it is a drop in the ocean and for a solo traveler it is peace of mind and I saw some wonderful sights. None of the excursions were a disappointment to me. I did not shop at the shops, I felt they had gone very very upmarket and I chose to shop in the ports. I cruise for a holiday and therefore not particularly interested in the entertainment side - I love just reading and enjoying the ambience. For solo travelers who are considering, just do it. You can be alone if you choose, or you can chat with others. Cruisers are very friendly people. Yes, you do pay more, but you get the holiday you want and how wonderful to go to a restaurant every morning and lunch and read or catch up on work. Nap in the arvo if you want. Finally, A huge thank you to: Jeffrey my room steward. All the staff in Vines for keeping me supplied with Champagne for my pre dinner beverage of choice. Tatiana in the MDR for my breakfast and lunch service. Ben and Armando in the dining room for Dinner service, my table mates and I struck gold with you two. Would I cruise with Princess again, You betcha, I have five cruises lined up ready go in the next two year.

A super cruise - did not disappoint.

Sky Princess Cruise Review by anne6226

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

anne6226’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sky Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB
Love this stateroom, I was on a guarantee list and was guaranteed a BD (which is what I paid for) as a minimum. Love my little upgrade.
Marina Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins