Independence of the Seas Cruise Review

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by alandlord

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior Accessible

We had a cruise certificate for a discount on a Royal Caribbean Cruise we had gotten from Hilton. Only RCL goes to Haiti, so we figured we'd make use of the certificate by going somewhere no one else goes to. The cruise also went to Falmouth, Jamaica. Big Mistake.

The moment we got onto the cruise ship, we went straight to our room. The trouble started immediately. People were smoking pot right down the hall from our room. The hall reeked of marijuana. I am extremely perceptible to marijuana odor and smoke. It has a debilitating impact on me.

We immediately informed the staff, who couldn't have cared less. They made excuses not to deal with the issue. This went on for three days until the staff called us and said the couldn't figure out which room was responsible, so they would check the ventilation system. We spent the entire cruise going the long way away from our room, heading toward the aft of the ship and around the starboard corridor back forward to get anywhere as we could not walk down our corridor (port side).

People walked around high, smelling of pot. Elevators smelled of pot, so we couldn't use certain ones. Again, the staff didn't care.

Also, the ship was LOUD. The people were loud and obnoxious, the speakers were outrageously loud, everything was way too LOUD. The main dining hall was so loud we had to move on at least two different occasions.

The were doors slamming, and thudding noises all week, starting at 6am and waking us up every morning. It turned out to be the room next to us (8705), where three young teenagers were allowed to be without their parents who were in a different room (8712 I think). The staff again didn't care, even though there is supposed to be an adult in the room with teenagers. When I politely asked this family not to go back and forth between their rooms slamming doors over and over again, they told me I was on a cruise and shouldn't expect to sleep. That was the most ridiculous and inconsiderate thing I had heard in quite a while from someone.

These two things were the major issues with this cruise. I spent all five days sick with headaches and fatigue. It was a miserable time; a complete waste of money.

When we debarked I decided to talk to someone to get some compensation. I was offered 20% of my expense as a credit towards a future cruise, which they immediately raised to 30%, but this turned out to be only $158 for me and $79 for my fiance (no clue why the numbers are different). This was hardly 30% of our expense. What am I going to do with $237 off of a RCL cruise within one year when RCL cruise cost more than that MORE than Carnival?

To make things way worse, RCL customer service was HORRIBLE to me on the phones when I called about the small future credit they offered. Three different agents were rude to me and hung up on me, not caring what I went through whatsoever. And then an even worse insult, someone who said she was from corporate called me, just to reiterate that there was nothing more they would do. I asked her why she was calling me just to tell me this?

We have been on four cruise in just over a year. Celebrity was the first, and it was wonderful. We did two more with Carnival, which were worth what we paid for them. This RCL cruise I wish I had never gone on. We have another cruise with Carnival in February.

I will never cruise RCL again. The cruise itself was horrible. The staff allowed marijuana smoking and obnoxious behavior. The customer service was beyond horrible and treated me like utter trash. RCL - never ever again. We can afford to do whatever we like, and have no need for RCL or the pathetic future credit they offered me.

If you do not want to be surrounded by the ghetto trash who yell and scream and smoke pot do not go on this cruise. If you value customer service and being treated with respect, forget RCL.

A little more info......the entertainment was the worst we had ever seen. The food availability was also the worst. They actually only offered food in Labadee (Haiti) from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm, and then after getting back on board at 4 pm, there was nothing to eat until 5:30pm.

alandlord's Full Rating Summary

Interior Accessible

The cabin itself was fine. It was a normal cabin. We have been in a suite (Celebrity), balcony room (Carnival), ocean view (Carnival), and now an interior. The room itself made no difference. The hall and the room next door ruined it for us.

Catamaran Tour

Boat rocked a lot, but sailing out away from the port where you could see a little bit more of Haiti was worth it. The young men who were paid to come up to our boat in small wood boats selling shells was a great idea and their shells were cheap and fun to buy. This was the only thing about this cruise I enjoyed.

View All 22 Catamaran Tour Reviews
Falmouth

Falmouth is rough. I was approached to buy pot (wrong person to ask my friend - not me). This was about the worst port town we had ever seen. Some stores smelled of pot. The buildings are in bad shape. We will never go back to Jamaica.

alandlord