3. Allure of the Seas
We booked this cruise to experience an Oasis class ship that included a stop at Coco Cay. Our time window was very tight and this Allure of the Seas cruise out of Fort Lauderdale fit the bill. It was a different in having to preplan every event but three months was adequate time to do that. But it was impossible without knowing which events on the ship we were missing. More on that later in this report! I'll begin this report with our arrival in Fort Lauderdale on the evening before the cruise. The Wyndham Garden was a nice choice – clean; soft bed; and reasonably priced. The road noise from Route 1 was a problem. But the biggest problem was that the room contained only one queen bed! After 36 years of marriage, we have “out-grown” those long ago! So, after a short night and hotel transportation, we arrived at Terminal 19 of Port Everglades Cruise Port. Embarkation was quick. We were selected out of line for a speedier process. In about 40 minutes after arriving, we were on the ship! The ship is huge so I'll construct this review by describing the different areas of the ship First, the food! We were on the 4th floor level MDR, the Grande. It was very close the casino and I would have hated to have a table near the entrance (it stank). Our table was in the back and we were assigned an edge table near a porthole. Score! Our table-mates were fine people but we just didn’t click. The veggie entrees were excellent. I always love their mushroom soup. DW had special restrictions but our amazing servers always found a way to please! The Windjammer was even better! There were a myriad of items that deserve special mentioning. The best of the best were several versions of rice pudding; a fish curry on the seafood night; a fish vera cruz.; and countless desserts! My only beef with the Windjammer was the lack of made-to-order omelets for breakfast. Again, our servers were excellent. We visited two special restaurants – Chops and Samba Grill. Both had excellent food. Both went far out of their way to please us. Kudos especially to the folks at Samba Grill. Samba Grill - the Brazilian steakhouse And the Solarium location was really soothing with the moving water noises. I visited the soft-serve stand too many times and enjoyed every one! I had a milkshake from Johnny Rockets. The next item are I want to address is entertainment. Anyone who thinks there is little to do is probably passed out on their balcony every night! The Amber Theater was beautiful. We sat in the front row of Momma Mia and it was amazing. We saw Blue Planet (twice) there (make sure to sit in the center sections). The Love and Marriage show is always fun. We visited the Adventure Ocean Theater for the amazing show OceanAria. I also enjoyed Sunday football on the big screen. We were there for the “Top Tier” event. At StudioB. I saw the ice show (just ok) and the Quest. We saw the comedians at Comedy Live and they were funny. We spent a lot of time in Schooner Bar. The piano guy wasn’t very good. We played a lot of trivia. We made several friends there. Our team walked away with a treasure trove of winnings! The noise from other events were sometimes distracting but the sound system helped a lot. Boleros needed a bigger dance-floor. On-Air doubled as a sports bar and family karaoke location. And the Cruise Critic event there was uneventful. What made the Allure unique was their “neighborhoods.” The Promenade was a happening place. There we saw the 70s event; the 50s dance party; the flash mob; and the pirate parade. The Boardwalk was a favorite for kids of all ages. We had line-dance lessons there. Central Park was a quiet retreat that took a different flavor at night. The Pool area was always active and I had a good time in the whirlpools. The Sports Deck had a challenging mini golf 9 hole course. We spent less time in the Solarium this trip. The next items are the ports of call. The first stop was St Thomas. I had intended on going to the synagogue there but quickly discovered the route I researched as assuming we were docked at closer pier. As I was returning to the ship, I saw DW leaving on a tour. I declined the offer to join her. I discovered when I got home the walk would have been 2 miles each way. The next stop was San Juan, Puerto Rico. I booked the El Yunque hike. Angel (of El Yunque Tours) was an excellent guide! It was fun and informative. But the best port was Coco Cay. It really was a Perfect Day! We found two nice chairs at Chill Beach and made that our home base. The ocean water was cold but the scenery was iconic. We took a stroll around the island and found our way to Splashaway Bay. But the best was Oasis Lagoon. I’ll dream of this place! We took pictures of lounging in hammocks and were soon back on the ship. The last chapter was embarkation and post cruise. It was mostly uneventful but I have to tell the story of my winter coat. Needless to say, I didn't need it in FL and it was cumbersome. So I asked the Windham Garden if they would keep it for the 7 day cruise (we stayed there before and after the cruise). They said it wasn't their policy. I spoke to another staff member and discovered they had a lost and found. So I deliberately left my coat in the room. The coat was purchased 2 years previously from a rummage sale for $20. After the cruise, they took me to my coat. It was on a table beside the dumpster in the parking garage. I got lucky. We rented a car and spent several hours in Miami. It was fun and I'm glad we did it but don't think I would do it again.

Allure - You are a siren and I'll forever be chained to your mast!

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by MD_Dan

MD_Dan’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas price drops

Interior
Cabin 4V
We did a Guarantee and it worked out well. Room 12153 had some noise as we docked (maybe a winch) but everything else was quiet. Our attendant, Arya, was the best we’ve ever had. We noticed a few welcome changes. The refrigerator was empty (no attempt to up-sell drinks). There was no coffee table (a waste of space). The mattress had curved corners. The shower had a step for washing feet. The illuminated artwork was perfect. The smaller sink worked. The low lighting in the bathroom was perfect as a nightlight. The lighted mirror was very nice.

But there were a very few misses also … There was no outlet in the bathroom. We learned that the top light switch turned off everything – including the AC.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins