3. Norwegian Escape
We chose this cruise because of the cost which included $50 deposit, drink packages and kids sail free. We traveled as a family of 11 which all but two of us (me & husband) were first time cruisers. This cruise was our second Norwegian cruise. First was last November Mediterranean on the Epic. Not thrilled with this ship at all. But we thought that this would be different as it was a Caribbean cruise and affordable for our kids and it surely would be better. This ship was better than the Epic but that is not saying much. I really wanted to love Norwegian as much as we love Royal Caribbean but it didn’t come close. We figured our kids wouldn’t know the difference since they hadn’t cruised before but no. Embarkation day seemed ok until once we were on the ship our cabins were not ready. The food was not great. I didn’t think the buffet food had that great of a selection and got boring quickly. And I love food! The dining experience was not even that great. I had boasted about how great the food was on Royal Caribbean in which we had fish, lobster, escargot, cream brûlée every night, etc. Never happened on this cruise or the last Norwegian Epic. I had reserved late dining seating thinking there was a professional show each night as RC but there was only two -total failure. Choir of Men was outstanding! Teppanyaki did deliver though! Outstanding food and show. O Sheehan’s was ok. The bbq was not good and we love bbq. The servers in all the dining rooms were rude and not accommodating. They were probably over it being we were eating late but still. The ship was very nice and clean. The drinks were outstanding and never had to wait long but if you asked for water that was a different story. I didn’t get served water a couple of times. The cruise director really lacked in communicating direction and detail which left us wondering and having to figure out a lot on our own and made things stressful. One included tendering in one of the ports. This was very stressful and disorganized. And disembarkation was a nightmare for my family. Our color which was second to last to be called were never called. My husband and son in-law got pink - color before ours and then they stopped calling colors. I called my husband which then he told me they were calling all colors left. We went to get on the elevators to get off the ship and my daughter which has two young boys got separated as her boys went with their aunt in a separate line of disembarkation which we never knew that there were two points of disembarkation. The boys were in a line with their aunt with no passports because their mom was in another line. Both daughters were communicating via cell phones both saying they were in line but they didn’t figure out until they reached the disembarkation point that there were two lines. My daughter with the children asked personnel if she could go to the other point of disembarkation where her kids were because she had their passports and they were asking her sister for them and was told no. In the other line their aunt was told the kids could not leave the ship and would have to be held in a holding cell and they needed to get off. Whaat?!? Mt daughter- their aunt told them she was not leaving them! The personnel from both points were not communicating with each other and offered little to no resolution to both parties. We were held up for quite some time making this very stressful and emotional for the kids and their mother as well as for their aunt. Eventually they let the boys get off with their aunt with a comment from one of the personnel saying, “go ahead get off and good luck in America.” We then noticed the ship was disembarking at the same time as they were embarking! That made sense as to why at 8 am we all got knocks on our cabin doors telling us we needed to be out of our rooms at 8 am. Never did we get that communicated to us. Another couple went by us as we were leaving our cabin and heard me comment that we have never had to be out of our cabin at 8 am. She said yeah never! They were upset as well. We will never sail Norwegian again. It is worth it to us to pay for a beverage package to get outstanding service, food and entertainment! My kids are not convinced that cruising is what they would enjoy again. So sad! We love cruising- just not on Norwegian.

Chaotic Communication Nightmare

Ages 10 to 12
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Aft-facing Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B1
Not bad. I liked the cabin lay out on the epic better with the shower, toilet and sink all separate.
Deck 15 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins