3. Norwegian Breakaway
Our family of 12 chose the Norwegian Breakaway for our Christmas Cruise. We had eight adults and four children ranging in ages 11 to 17. We were so excited to go on this Cruise and planned for over 12 months. Boy were we disappointed! In general, the boat seemed severely understaffed. Service at the restaurants and at the bars were incredibly slow. At times we waited over 30 minutes for a drink by the pool. We ordered virgin drinks for the children and on at least three different occasions, the drinks were served WITH alcohol. We had 3 staterooms and every day there was something wrong with at least one of them. Clogged showers that flooded the bathrooms, no AC, no electricity, showers that didn't work, and or clogged toilets became part of our daily routine. Sometimes the issues were fixed quickly and other times it took hours. There was one main pool which is an adult only pool. There was a kiddie pool but it wasn't heated and only allowed for a small number of kids. They have slides but they were always closed or they would only have one open with a massive line. The rock climbing wall and sky walk were rarely open due to weather and when they were, the line was crazy long. None of our four kids got to go on either of these during the seven days that we are on the cruise. Everything costs extra and any activities for the kids closed at 10. They do have a kids area called Entourage but it was always full and there was usually a line of kids waiting to get in. My kids got to go in once. We couldn't do ping pong, basketball, or anything after 10. Thank God I thought to bring a deck of cards otherwise we would have had nothing to do. Maybe there was more things for the little kids but nothing for the tweens. Our first Port was scheduled for Great Stirrup Cay. We were excited because we paid for an excursion to swim with the pigs. However, due to inclement weather (or so they said) we got rerouted to Nassau. So instead of an all-inclusive day at the beach, we had to walk around the streets of Nassau trying to figure out what to do. There was nothing to do. Norwegian was running a special at the time that we booked and so we got to experience three of their upgraded dining rooms. Moderno was a joke. Blue Ocean had excellent service but served undercooked seafood. Eating at Teppanyaki was the highlight of our trip. The servers and the cooks were friendly, outgoing, and actually seemed happy to be there. Everyone else on this ship was miserable and some of them were even downright rude, completely dismissing you while in the middle of a conversation with them. The all-you-can-drink package sounded good in the beginning until the server's realize that they didn't have to work very hard for a tip anymore. My husband and I come from service backgrounds. 20% is a minimum an our book. However the service on this boat was so bad that by the third day we insisted that the auto gratuity be removed. We started tipping people accordingly with cash instead. We met some other really great families that also complained about the service and lack of activities on the boat. Some of them said that they had been on Norwegian Cruise line many times before and this particular Cruise was the worst they have ever experienced. I would give anything to go back and pick a different cruise line. Did our family have fun? Of course! But for the amount of money that we spent on this cruise and the excursions, it would have been nice to leave the ship with better memories. I will never go on another NCL ship again. Norwegian could call and offer me a free Cruise and a million dollars and I still wouldn't go.

Disappointing on every level

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Julz2678

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Maybe there was more things for the little kids but nothing for the tweens.

Julz2678’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BD
We had 4 adult-sized people in this room and keep things tidy. I wish that the closet was a little bigger and that there was a little more storage but we managed. Our steward did a good job making up the bed and leaving enough towels. However, not one time did they ever make a cute animal out of the towels.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins