3. Carnival Miracle
My wife and I picked this cruise despite the fact we swore we wouldn’t sail with Carnival again after our last trip a couple years ago. Compared to NCL and RC, we just weren’t impressed with our last cruise. But we booked because we wanted a quick weekend getaway on the cheap. Well we got what we paid for. First off, if you have even slight concerns about motion sickness, avoid this ship at all costs. It has no stabilizers so you can feel every wave. Even with my bonine pills, I still had occasional moments of queeziness. The ship is relatively small compared to others I’ve sailed. So the entertainment options were kind of limited. The pools are not really that kid friendly and there aren’t a lot of things available to entertain kids, so it’s not an ideal family cruise compared to others we’ve been on. They had a water slide but it’s not accessible from the main pool deck so you can’t keep a close eye on the kids if you want to sun bathe while they slide. The dining was mediocre at best. The main dining room had pretty standard options each night. The “Featured Vegetarian” entree was the exact same dish all three nights. Not great for my wife. Seriously? They couldn’t come up with 3 different entrees? I had a pork chop on the first night which was tough and dry. The other dishes were decent but nothing compared to the elegant dishes I had on NCL and RC. Breakfast room service was a bit of a joke. We normally order it out of convenience but their offerings were extremely limited if you didn’t want an extra charge. We could get fruit, cereal, danishes, yogurt cups, juices, and coffee. Basic Continental breakfast. No hot plates. One of our bananas was half mush and the melons were all under ripe and flavorless. We went to the main dining room after the first morning. Much better options, which were quite good. The stateroom was clean, with the one exception of a leftover sock in one of the cabinets. The air conditioning was impossible to adjust. We had a thermostat but it didn’t appear to do anything. Always chilly in our room. And it was incredibly noisy. Constantly sounded like we were on an airplane. It was that loud. The ship is in desperate need of a makeover though. Lots of salt-wear on deck rails, chipped paint, etc... The mandatory safety briefing was not great. They communicated relatively well but never gave us a warning for when the alarms would sound. They just blasted in our tiny stateroom and scared us to death! Just give us a heads up. My one real complaint was regarding their prohibited items policy. We have packed a small power strip for every cruise we’ve ever taken, including our last Carnival cruise. This time they confiscated it before we embarked. I pointed to their website policy that says power strips are an exception (they said with careful use, whatever that’s supposed to mean) but they refused to return it until the end of the cruise. They had no explanation for why I was allowed to use it on our last cruise, nor why it was such an objectionable item. They basically just said, sorry not sorry. The stateroom only had one US compatible receptacle. How are we supposed to charge two phones and two watches at night? Again, the ship is out-dated. With regard to entertainment, the only show we saw was one of the comedians. We went to the PG show so it seemed he felt restricted in his act considering there was a 10 yr old in the front row. He wasn’t all that great to be honest, but in fairness he had a pretty quiet crowd. We did listen to a few musicians at random times. They were alright. Nothing spectacular. Found it funny when we went to a bar that advertised “acoustic jams” and were greeted by a blues musician playing electric guitar. Must be that “new” acoustic all the kids are talking about! He wasn’t bad though. As usual, there was lots of attempted upselling for photos, drinks, art auctions etc... Pretty typical in our experience. We did actually buy a couple of photos from the studio photographer on the Cruise Elegant night. She did a nice job. The prints were overpriced but good quality. Speaking of Cruise Elegant night, the dining room was not strict on the dress code for that evening. There were plenty of guests in T-shirts and jeans. We took one excursion but it wasn’t booked through the cruise line so I’ll rate it separately. Overall, we made the most of it. Easily our least favorite of all our cruises but for the price it wasn’t awful. We spent plenty of time relaxing. Not much on deck due to chilly temperatures but still pretty comfortable. If you are a local resident to the Miracle’s embarkation point, it might be a nice weekend booze cruise. But not worth an expensive flight and long term vacation expectations.

Old ship needs work

Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by jdib78

jdib78’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Miracle price drops

• Winery Tour
    Visited two wineries and got to taste eight different wines along with plenty of cheese, bread, olive oils, even pizza! Both wineries were great with beautiful views and tasty wines. Tour operators were very friendly and professional. They were knowledgeable about the city’s history and the wineries we visited. Cheaper than the cruise sponsored excursion for basically the same experience. Highly recommended.
    View All 57 Winery Tour Reviews
  • San Diego
    While we waited for our boarding time, we walked down the boardwalk to a local shopping area. It was lovely. Nice little touristy shops and restaurants. Great way to kill time.
    View All 295 San Diego Cruise Port Reviews