3. Disney Magic
We went on this cruise with my then 5 year old and 3 year old sons. Although they aren't that into Disney specifically, we figured they'd enjoy the kids activities and we'd get some much needed adult time away. The short version is this: The Kids Club and Kids Activities were a big disappointment, particularly if you have [stereotypical] boys. KIDS CLUB --- Wow, what a miss that was! Honestly, it's pretty shockingly bad. It's not like it was atrocious -- more that it was boring and really, really didn't need to be. And that's what gets me. $300 of supplies and it could have been *fun* for all kids. The Good: the facility seemed clean and the staff was attentive. It wasn't packed, and we could basically always get a spot. The Bad: There was nothing really for my kids to do in the kids club. My sons like building and art. There was essentially nothing to build with. There were no legos, nothing like that. All they could really do was draw. And that only occupies them for so long. The other activities in the kids club were very structured games, and zoning out watching movies. None of these things interested my kids (and, by the way, boys tend to like structured games as much). OTHER ACTIVITIES -- The kids activities on the ship were pretty underwhelming. There were options and we went to them, but they were all pretty disappointing. For example, we went to some sort of pirate art activity. It turned out to be just coloring in a picture of a parrot, cutting it out, and then taping it to your shoulder. That's fine and all... but when all the activities are stuff like that, it gets pretty boring. There was of course a pool and slide, but those were always packed. Lots of Disney princess stuff. OTHER STUFF --- Other than the fact that the kids were bored (which is, um, a pretty darn big deal), everything else was fine. The cabin was fine (small, but it's a cruise, so that's to be expected). We made all the planned excursions. Castaway Cay was pretty cool -- definitely a highlight -- but a storm rolled in and shut that down early. A bummer for us, but certainly not Disney's fault. The food was hit or miss. There were one or two meals which were excellent, and a whole lot of others that weren't. Oh well. Honestly, we weren't expecting anything great here. FINAL CONCLUSION -- I think your kids need to be super into Disney and especially Disney princesses to enjoy this. The activities are pretty underwhelming in general, so their interest in Disney princess needs to be strong enough to OVERCOME an otherwise boring experience. This means that most boys are going to bored. Seriously, every time I look back on this experience, I can't help but think -- Disney, did you forget about boys? Literally half of all human children? How? But even putting that aside, I just don't see the cost justification for it. For the four of us, we spent about $1000 per night (of course, it was over new years). If I imagine a vacation where I'm budgeting $1000 per night, that's a lot of money. I could get 12 hours of babysitting per day (8am to 8pm at $20/hr --> $240), spend lavishly on food ($300 per day), and then STILL have lots of money left over for a nice hotel room at a nice resort. In fact, I'd walk away with MORE childcare, a nice room, and more flexibility in planning such a trip. So why pay for the Disney cruise?

Not good for [stereotypical] boys

Disney Magic Cruise Review by gm12455

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas

KIDS CLUB

---

OTHER ACTIVITIES

There was of course a pool and slide, but those were always packed.

Lots of Disney princess stuff.

OTHER STUFF

---

FINAL CONCLUSION

So why pay for the Disney cruise?
gm12455’s Full Rating Summary