3. Norwegian Encore
Have been cruising for years and this is the first time I left the ship feeling truly disappointed. I usually like to linger onboard and disembark after the crowds, but I went ashore at the first opportunity. I was surprised by the ambivalence of many of the crew, though polite, they just seemed to be going through the motions. Especially considering this is a new ship, I was expecting to have the Norwegian “A” team onboard. It was a holiday cruise, so I anticipated having to book early for premium dinners and activities. However, I was unable to book all of the prepaid premium restaurants I wanted to dine in as everything was booked before we even left port. I also was unable to get a spot on the go carts, which wasn’t the end of the world, but I would have liked to try it. The highlight of the cruise for me was the Choir of Man Show, which was superb. I didn’t enjoy Kinky Boots as much, the lead singer’s voice and performance was just not compelling. I have enjoyed Norwegian Ships in the past and have sailed with them many times. I am surprised how disappointed I feel after a week on a cruise, I will definitely not sail on the Encore again. I usually buy Cruise Next while onboard but didn’t this time. If you are a smoker, do not get on the Encore. You will feel like a second class citizen and there are no outdoor venues which allow smoking. Their other ships had smoking corners outdoors, but not Encore. There is a very small enclosed smoking room with poor air circulation on Deck 8. The stool seating is uncomfortable, and the space was perpetually crowded. The seating in the Atlanta Airport smoking lounges is more comfortable. The acoustics are horrible, and it just amplified the constant complaining by the other passengers in the small space. The only other options are an enclosed space in the casino if you are gambling. As well as a Cigar lounge with great club chairs, but you are only allowed to smoke cigars in there. The spa thermal suite is nice and only marred by rude passengers talking loudly, ruining the tranquility of the space. The food was ok, nothing memorable, and the beverages were decent. The new Onda restaurant food was good, but the space is all hard surfaces and the noise level was just ridiculous with a full dining room. You could barely hear the server trying to take your order. They did apologize for the noise level and seemed to know this was a problem. I have been loyal to Norwegian for years, but will likely try a different Cruise Line now.

Disappointed

Norwegian Encore Cruise Review by ultra929

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spa Balcony Stateroom

I usually buy Cruise Next while onboard but didn’t this time.

The food was ok, nothing memorable, and the beverages were decent.

ultra929’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Encore price drops

Spa Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B9
Cabin was comfortable and the steward did a good job keeping it tidy.
Deck 15 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins