Grand Princess Cruise Review

Grand Princess Cruise Review by fiveholepatrol

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Interior

This was a cruise my brother put together for our parents. In total, we had 16 family members spread across 5 rooms. Overall, the service was great. Our waiter for dinner was exceptional. Our stateroom person, Shendy, was awesome. The food was OK. The ports were OK. The onboard entertainment was lacking. They didn't have a place for youngsters to get their energy out especially being on water 3 days straight there and back. But, here's what I learned the hard way.

* Don't get sick. Not only is it expensive to see a doctor on the ship, you also have to pay $28 to just get a copy of the itemized work done so you can file it to your insurance. It's not free. They have the report already generated. They make you pay $28 to print it out. That's really low. It's like going to see your doctor but you need to pay $28 to get the work so you can file it to your insurance. Way to screw your sick guests, Princess Cruises.

* Don't have a cabin anywhere near Princess theater section of the boat or near Deck 5 area. This ship was refurbished in March of 2019 but guess what, you can clearly hear the music 3 decks up as if they were playing it right in your room. And, they played it till 11pm every night. The customer service guy had to come to my room to make sure I wasn't lying to him about the noise. He said, "oh yeah.. i can feel it vibrating from the floor." No kidding. You think I complain if it wasn't that loud? I got comped a teddy bear and chocolates. Whoohoo! Go big, Princess.

* Very little place for your youngsters to have an outlet. Outside of swimming, there really isn't a how lot to do for youngsters. My youngest needs to get his energy out and the pool water is freezing. Table tennis is always packed with people who never get off. The kids club doesn't have much active things to do. It's definitely not that kid friendly. There's more places for Adults only than for kids to run around.

* The room service menu is very limited. When my youngest got sick, he was tired of eating the same thing. Anything else I tried to get would cost money. Nickel and diming here and there. It's just not very good tactic to get us back on their ship again. Internet cost a boatload. drink packages went up.. can't get refill as part of room service. Charge you if you do!

Overall, I would look at another cruise where it's more kid friendly. Nothing against the crew who were great and accommodating. I believe Princess Cruises fall shorts in a lot of places or that they don't really cater to families with younger children. They're definitely not Carnival or Disney. What really ticked me is making us pay for the medical report so I can claim it against my insurance. Also, the $14.50 per person per day gratuity charge isn't mandatory but they make it so. I wish they were more honest about it but I get it. Big crew who works hard and deserves the tips. I wouldn't be surprised this is how all other cruise liners do business. it'll be a long time before we set sail again especially with Princess.

fiveholepatrol's Full Rating Summary

Interior

Nothing to write home about. Small room, small bathroom. Just make sure you don't room in the front part of the boat of Aloha, Baja, Carbe, or Dolphine or you'll hear the Princess Theater music all night long.

San Francisco

Easy to check-in. It's always a pain to drive into SF.

Glass Bottom Boat Tour

better pricing and they do come back and get you.

View All 26 Glass Bottom Boat Tour Reviews
Mazatlan

local merchants don't understand we need to head back to the boat, we need to head back. Taking too slow to ring up items in shop means you lose business.

Island tour