3. Carnival Sunshine
This is was our second time aboard the Sunshine and honestly our first trip wasn’t that great. We sailed on the Sunshine when it was in Florida (Orlando maybe?) and was hesitant to sail on it again but simply selected this cruise because of its convenience out of Charleston. We had sailed out of Charleston before aboard the Ecstasy and had a much more enjoyable trip. Fist off this ship is nasty. Everything about it looks dirty and old and not well kept. Our stateroom bathroom smelt of urine horribly and the balcony made you feel dirty just stepping out on it. We decided to enroll our children in camp ocean and our children hated it. They were not entertained at all and did not want to go back. On the final day I asked them if they wanted to try it one more time. They went for little over an hour before I got a call about youngest one would not stop crying and wanted to leave. I go in there and they basically put the kids in a room with a few basic toys but were not interacting with them at all. I found this odd because I have talked to other parents that had used camp ocean on other ships and their kids loved it. Then there was the food. The dinning room and buffet were absolutely horrible. If it had not been for the burger joint, burrito bar and sandwich station I don’t know what we would have done. There was very little selection on the buffet and generally nothing for small children to eat (tell me what child is going to eat fish with clams that taste fishy). We ended up eating the main dining room every night because at least they had a kid’s menu even though the rest of the adult menu wasn’t that great. I have been on many cruise ships and the Sunshine is at the bottom of the list for food. I also enjoy craft beer and now that carnival started pretty much only selling their brand brew, they don’t have that great of a selection anymore. I love IPA beer, but the carnival Parched Pig IPA lacks a lot to be desired. On the upside the terminal in Charleston made the boarding and embarkation very smooth and easy. Now if they would just switch ships again they would be golden.

Not all that great