Douro Elegance Cruise Review

Best holiday with so much to see

Douro Elegance Cruise Review by Charm London

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: Europe River

This was my first river cruise and a solos cruise with 64 singles, although some friends booked together. The boat was stunning and lower cabin was very comfortable and quiet. L'Ocitane toiletries, towelling robe and slippers, satellite tv and double bed to myself. Of course, no time spent in the cabin because fellow travellers and the rest of the ship is so inviting. Big windows, lovely lounge and well stocked bar made the communal areas easy to spend time in. It rained all week but didn't stop the fun. The cruise goes through many locks which are staggering and the river meanders through picturesque scenery. Sun deck has a small pool and about 3 of us managed a dip in November! There is also a small exercise room with treadmill, weights and a bike. Spa was virtually fully booked with amazing massages. Highlights were definitely the excursions, very different visits and the spectacular visit to Salamanca. Always enough time to see things with very well organised and friendly tour guides and free time to wander. Joined the cruise at Oporto which is a fascinating place to see. Of course, lots of Port wine and tastings. The food on board was delicious, varied and to a very high standard. Too many good dishes to mention and wine and drinks very reasonable. I'm glad I didn't book the drinks package because from what I understood, it was only available at meal times and not in the bar. Lighter lunch is served in the lounge and tea and coffee available from the hot drinks station all day. Water bottles provided and fountain to top up. I was so relaxed the minute I got on board. The crew were brilliant and the advice and information from the cruise director was just enough and not boring. This was one of the best holidays I've had and other passengers, some elderly were up and dancing most nights, no shortage of good company. It was my birthday on the trip and a bottle of Prosseco in my cabin with a card made it special. Can't fault this cruise and I am very fussy. I took a book to read and never opened it. If I had one minor suggestion, it would be that the gift shop on the ship is very limited to fairly expensive buys rather than useful things. Take comfortable walking shoes and in autumn, raincoat and don't forget the swimsuit!

Charm London's Full Rating Summary

Lower deck was good as I had the last cabin on the corridor and no-one passed by which made it very quiet. Everything you need and very comfortable bed.

Next Review