• Newsletter

6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2019
Cabin: Inside

I had booked this cruise in early August for my daughters birthday in December. The original itinerary was Miami, Freeport, Nassau and Great Stirrup Caye. I booked 2 cabins for myself and my daughter and her boyfriend (both 22 yrs old), I have completed many cruises on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian but this for me was just dreadful!! After hurricane Dorian damaged Grand Bahama Island in Oct 2019 Norwegian revised this 4 night itinerary to skip Freeport and included a “day at sea” instead. We departed from Miami on Dec 16th and literally cruised around at trolling speed following 2 or 3 other cruise ships in a circle for the next day and a half. Thankfully the weather was warm and sunny but I question why Norwegian didn’t take us to their private island or Key West on the 17th instead of trolling around offshore of Nassau for a wasted day??? I’m sure passengers would have referred to be doing activities on their island instead of watching cruise ships going around in circles all day. I didn’t book this cruise to have a day at sea between Miami and Nassau (all of 150 miles apart).

We arrived in Nassau on the 18th along with 5 other enormous cruise ships who all disembarked passengers at the same time 8am. It was chaos on the pier and in the cruise ship terminal with people trying to find their island excursion guides and others just trying to get through the building into town. 6 cruise ships with 2000 people avg disembarking = 12,000 people all getting off between 8am and 830am. The cruise lines should coordinate disembarkation in Nassau knowing the constraints of the dock size area!!! The weather turned ugly on the afternoon of the 18th and the captain advised they could not depart Nassau to take us to Great Stirrup Cay (Norwegian’s private island) because of thunderstorms in the area. As the weather deteriorated we remained on board, with the deck doors locked (admittedly we wouldn’t have gone outside in rain and wind anyway...but) while the entertainment staff shifted gears for another night in port.

Dec 19th weather was still raining so the ship remained in Nassau in port along with 3 other cruise ships who also did not depart the prior night. I commend the staff for spinning on a dime and being able to create a whole new itinerary for another unscheduled rainy port day, but Nassau was basically shut down for the 2nd day. On a sunny day Nassau is hard to take. Constant hustling by retail vendors, overpriced goods, very expensive food in restaurants (food is mediocre at best). Having to spend another full day there was extremely disappointing. On top of this local authorities do not allow the casinos to remain open during port, so the gambling and prize related games were not available while we sat in port for 2 days. My daughter chose this cruise itinerary as she desperately wanted to swim with the pigs which I had booked for them at Great Stirrup Caye. With the ship staying in Nassau the excursion was cancelled and the whole point of us coming on this cruise was washed away with the torrential rain outside.

Inside

Clean, tidy, comfortable bed, great TV service and recent movies as well as satellite news channels.

4 Helpful Votes