3. Norwegian Gem
I was really looking forward to escaping the cold. Great Stirrup Cay, sounded wonderful. I had been on the Gem before and loved that I would know my way around. I decided to go cheap on the cabin this time and book an inside cabin. I was surprised by how much shelves, drawers, closets etc. there was to unpack all my things. I always use a shoe organizer to store all my bathroom necessities. I did have to store this in the other side of the door, but there were also 3 glass shelves in the bathroom which gave plenty of storage. I was surprised at the cracked in many places sink. Dining was ridiculous! No one seemed to know what they were doing or where they should be. Getting waited on took forever, getting water took a long time, and the food took longer than I ever remember even when they were not busy at all. The food for the most part was excellent although sometimes coffee was cold and sometimes almost sludgy. This was the first time I did not have a beverage package and I did not like it. I did notice that the drinks I paid for where in no way comparable to my last cruise with the Gem. I feel bad that I told many people how much better the drinks were than the ones we had on our Celebrity cruise. I enjoyed the shows and classes I attended. The stage seemed a bit crowded at times, too many people for the small stage. We had laundry done and clothing turned up missing, clothing in room turned up missing. We left the room one afternoon, I had a glass of water by my bed, to take medications with, when we got back the beds were made, new towels were placed in the bathroom but in my glass of water were candy wrappers?? Now for the part that made me never want to sail with Norwegian again. The treatment I received as a handicapped guest. I can walk short distances and can not do stairs. One time after waiting 20 minutes the crew member asked who among the group was handicapped, after waiting 5 more minutes she turned to us and said she was tired of calling for assistance, we needed to go to customer service and ask for assistance ourselves. Thankfully I was able to find a place to sit while waiting. I was brought to tears many times on this cruise by how I was treated. When it came time to return we waited for 25 minutes for someone to return to their station for assistance to get back on the ship. The customs agent called Norwegian several times trying to get some assistance for me. Finally we asked them if we could use one of Norwegian’s wheelchairs and have someone in my group push me up the ramps to get back in the ship, when we got close enough we could see the person who had helped me before just standing there with several crew members, when we were almost on the ship he finally stepped towards us and asked if he could help!! I could go on, but just suffice it to say they were not very friendly to this handicapped person!!

What a difference!!