3. Coral Princess
Hello all, I took a bit of time to settle back from our cruise to fully digest all the activity. Positive Points: - Our cabin steward, Kurt was fantastic. We had an issue of me leaving dirty dishes outside our cabin after we had room service. I guess I was the one at fault here as I did not know to call Room Service to pick up the dishes instead of just leaving the dirty dishes by our door. However, I did see many crew members walk past the dirty dishes without picking them up. - Club Class Dining was great for bypassing the line for the dining room. - Check-in for our cruise was a breeze. Much better process from our first cruise in Seattle back in 2012. Would highly recommend departing from San Francisco for anyone considering a cruise departing from there. - Hygiene. We were very concerned being on a cruise for this long & getting a cold or worse. Our hand washing routine & attention to detail about what we touched was beyond reproach. I think most of the passengers were the same. We did not hear of anyone getting sick. I believe this ship is the first one we have been on that has hand washing sinks outside the buffet. What a great idea!! Almost everyone washed their hands before going into the buffet. Their was a portion of the pre-cruise muster that included informing everyone that the hand sanitizer does not kill the noro-virus & everyone should wash their hands before entering the buffet. As a side note, we also did Emergen-C for a week before the cruise & during the cruise. Don't know if that helped but it sure did not hurt either. - Candra in the International Cafe. We clicked right off the bat & was great about the service he provided. Also I would like to mention a Bar Server in the International Cafe, Shermine, she was fantastic. - Shore Excursions: - Cabo San Lucas-I did the SCUBA diving excursion. Fantastic. Saw a lot of sea life & would recommend this to anyone who is a diver. We had a diver get injured & she was promptly assisted & accompanied to the local hospital. Nothing negative about how the dive team handled the situation. - Coral Princess: Deck 7. I do like how the 7th deck goes all around the ship from stem to stern. Makes a good running track. Some walkers just need to be trained on where to walk or walk in a straight line so they can be passed. Now unfortunately for negative comments: - Shore Excursions. The shore excursion for the Coffee & Chocolate in Costa Rica was not worth the cost & the long time on the bus. The coffee plantation portion was fantastic. They explained in detail coffee plant growing & processing. Very good. However, the Chocolate portion was non existent. All that was done, was the guide showed us a pod & explained a little how it was processed. So much more should have been done. We also had a portion of the tour that included going into a small town & seeing an oxcart production. This was a joke. Totally. No work was being done, only a wood carver was there. His work was fantastic but no time was spent with him explaining anything. We spent over 4 hours on the bus that day just traveling. No lunch was provided or did we have free time to try & source our own lunch. Oh, one other thing the guide actually told us to zip our lips if we had a complaint. I can usually tell if someone is joking & I & my wife do not believe he was joking. But we were at the guide mercy & did not cause a scene. Next shore excursion was the hop on & off in Columbia. The cost is way too high for the benefit. Skip any excursions & just go to the aviary at the end of the pier. Nicaragua - Again too much time on the bus for the benefit. We did see the volcano & actually flowing lava into the volcano. But that was really about it. We were supposed to see a crater lake & we did for about 2 min. & we had to get back on the bus for our return. Cabin - We paid for a mini suite. The room was nice. Thank goodness the TV's were upgraded recently from the 19" models on a shelf to a decent size mounted on the wall. Very nice. However, there is still the same crappy choice of shows to watch. I know for a fact there are more choices that Princess could choose from. I had to connect my computer to the TV to have something to watch. Our balcony furniture had paint splatter all over the chairs & table. I think this is ridiculous. How can this be allowed? Why are the deck crew allowed to paint without covering all the furniture? I asked the steward to fix this & it never was addressed. With a mini suite we were supposed to be delivered canapes every evening. What was not told to us is we had to submit a menu everyday. - Allergies: per the required pre-boarding paperwork, we reported an allergy to shrimp. However, the first night our canapes were delivered with shrimp. EVERY meal we had to repeatedly tell the Club Class dining staff that we had a shrimp allergy. Once we requested a dish be prepared minus the shrimp. We were told by the server that this could not be done. I asked to speak to the Maitre D, after explaining the allergy & how I believe the allergy should be accommodated the Maitre D agreed & explained the dish would take time to be made. The additional time was reasonable & expected but to be told that it could NOT be accommodated was outrageous. I actually had words with the Maitre D & really feel we were shunned for the rest of the cruise. If we had not paid extra for the Club Class dining we would not have returned to the dining room again. Here is my issue; why does the pre-boarding reports not get reported throughout the staff? If we fill out requested forms why is upon us to inform the staffs at the various venues that we have an allergy? Another issue we had was the Bayou Steakhouse. There is an oyster dish that has shrimp included. We were told that they could NOT prepare it at that seating. If we wanted that dish we should have requested a special preparation 24 hours in advance. WHAT??? Again, the proper forms were completed in advance. Why did the specialty restaurant contact us & provide a menu & ask if we would like any special preparation to accommodate the allergy? Shouldn't that be process for great customer service? In their defense, we were given another complimentary meal to make up for the lack of communication. - Entertainment: There were only 3 production shows during the 2 week cruise. We were highly disappointed. Our first Princess cruise had production shows almost every night. There was great musician & comedian, Gary Delany that was fantastic. But he only did two shows. - Panama Canal: This was exciting for my wife. We marked two items off her bucket list. First, San Francisco & then the Panama Canal. Going through the locks & thinking of the engineering that took place in the early 1900's was amazing. The huge obstacles that were overcome to make this possible. The locks were exciting but after a bit it was like watching paint dry. I don't think we would do this cruise again because it was a once in a lifetime event. You know a bucket list.

Panama Canal Cruise from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale

Coral Princess Cruise Review by ilikenola

Hello all,

Positive Points:

- Club Class Dining was great for bypassing the line for the dining room.

- Shore Excursions:

Now unfortunately for negative comments:

ilikenola’s Full Rating Summary
Get Coral Princess price drops

Premium Club Class Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M1
The steward was great. The bigger cabin is highly recommended for a long cruise.
Enjoyed the new larger TV's & the new wall mounting. However please update the available viewing choices.

The paint splattered balcony furniture was a HUGE turn off.

Pay attention to submitted forms for food allergies & do not deliver shrimp to someone that has a shrimp allergy. Good thing I looked & asked as the shrimp was chopped up & not easily recognizable.
Baja Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    The cost of the excursion was too high for the reward. Recommend just walking to the end of the pier & seeing the aviary & have a cup of Juan Valdez coffee.
    View All 330 City Tour Reviews
  • Coffee Plantation
    The amount of time on the bus for the reward was horrible. We spent over 4 hours that day on the bus. Our guide told us to zip our lips if we had any complaints. We were not provided with a lunch nor were we given the opportunity to go find our own lunch. The only thing provided was a SMALL fruit snack that was highly controlled on what we were served. There really was not given any information about chocolate processing by being showed actual processing. The coffee portion was fantastic. The Oxcart workshop was not doing any work at the time. Only a small demonstration was provided.
    View All 35 Coffee Plantation Reviews
  • San Juan del Sur
    Too long of a bus ride for the reward. We did see the volcano & red hot lava flowing. The crater lake was nice but we did not get to spend a lot of time there.
    View All 105 San Juan del Sur Cruise Port Reviews