My wife loves cruises; this was our 4th cruise this year (Oceania, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Holland America). We enjoyed this cruise the most— largely because of the destinations. The lake regions of Chile and Argentina are spectacular and going around the Horn was a treat. Buenos Aires and Montevideo are beautiful, interesting cities. We enjoyed seeing the penguins on the Falkland Islands. We arranged our own tours, which saved us a lot of money and gave us more flexibility. At each stop, I negotiated with taxi drivers to take us where we wanted to go. Well worth the effort. The food and service were excellent. We bought the drink package, which was cheaper than other companies. We ate at each of the specialty restaurants, but they weren’t any better than the main dining room. The baked goods were superb. I loved the breakfast buffet. The room was the only negative. I thought we were getting a mini suite but got an ordinary balcony room. The rooms were small and dated— one electrical outlet, a poor quality small TV, and a DVD player. Most people on this cruise were old and use CPAP machines. It was impossible to run the CPAP, phone charger, and DVD player. Every one of the DVDs we checked out were scratched and worn. The Internet was expensive and almost worthless. Other ships are much better. The casino borders on crooked. I like to play video poker. Their machines have the worst odds possible (6-5 machine)and automatically switch to the highest bet possible. I complained, but the casino manager was arrogant and condescending. The service, ports, food, and bar service was terrific. They more than made up for the dated room, lousy internet, and dreadful casino. I recommend this cruise.

Great port and service; old ship

Zaandam Cruise Review by discusdoc

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Neptune Suite with Verandah

The Internet was expensive and almost worthless. Other ships are much better.

discusdoc’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Zaandam price drops

Neptune Suite with Verandah
Cabin SB
Old, dated rooms with one electrical outlet and an extra small TV. It’s time they install a streaming entertainment system. The bathroom was too small. The room had plenty of storage space. The Internet was expensive and unreliable.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins