I used to sail HAL all the time.... I will not anymore Many long term cruisers defend her to the hilt despite reality. Dont listen to them.....its not good Went on this cruise to see WW2 history....it was an Exec-Cruise , meaning that there would be lots of enrichment.... A lot of veterans both Australian and US signed on. We were 2/3rds of the 1200 passengers about 800. Well here is what happened. 1. about 10 days into the 30 day cruise HAL either fired the lecturer or he quit leaving us with no history. 2. Some passengers volunteered to substitute for free.... but were severely restricted by HAL on what they could say or do....... everything had to be 'Political correct based on Seattle very left wing anti military/us personal attitude. 3. This political correct attitude prevailed... several times we stopped at major sites and Vets wanted to hold a small memorial on the ships aft, We were told no way we dont want to offend anyone.... It was disgusting Final on the last day they did a pathetic mini memorial in the the theater...... too little too late Many times we Vets had to gather in secrecy to say a prayer and honor the fallen... I was enraged and disgusted.... 4 with the departure of the historian... hal brought on some lame natural history guy and a touch-e-feely sociologist...giving a limp wristed take on the countries....Pathetic That amigos...is the EXEC cruise your likely to get.... a canned, waterdown, political correct bunch of crud. The ship boarding: Pick up from airport was outstanding.... and boarding swift and easy...excellent Cabin :deck 5 was a ocean view..... great bed, great bathroom, great stewards The ship: wonderful condition, decor and layout nothing wrong Cruise Director: a joke was more interested in getting off in Sydney than being there. Captain: a political correct jerk who wanted Seattle to tell him what to do every day... Entertainment: Bring some CD's its pretty sad Food: Lido..... golden corral at sea... Good Chinese, Breakfasts good Powdered eggs unless you get the omlet guy to give you real ones. Super wait staff... Breakfast the only reasonable chance to get anything nice. Main dining room: Once was enough....like a being in the Jewish Catskill resorts Pinnacle: was not dumb enough to try Poor quality, presentation, service, atmosphere..sad place Dive in: Not that bad.... best make a taco salad Burgers very very greasy Bars: waterdown drinks marginal happy hour Summary: several days I did not even eat at all...... a first of a cruise. menus were torture After 28 days I was Glad to get off... In truth this ship was the only one that could take me to the special spots like Iwo Jima, Saipan, Guadelcanal, Iron Bottom sound They had me...no other option.... Thats about it.... a boat ride and your on your own.. Worst of all HAL did not care that they rooked hundreds of vets into thinking this would be special history tour.... it was special alright... special disappointing....I wanted so much to like it... but HAL would not let me.

Buyer beware...only show in town sadly

Maasdam Cruise Review by Hawaiidan

Cabin :deck 5 was a ocean view..... great bed, great bathroom, great stewards

The ship: wonderful condition, decor and layout nothing wrong

Entertainment: Bring some CD's its pretty sad

Dive in: Not that bad.... best make a taco salad Burgers very very greasy

Bars: waterdown drinks marginal happy hour

Hawaiidan’s Full Rating Summary