3. Celebrity Silhouette
Let me say right off the bat that I am biased in favour of Celebrity - lets get that out of the way right now. This was my 47th cruise with this line and I have never cruised with anyone else, except for a one day cruise in the Greek islands. Let me also say that the Silhouette is in need of a modernization - and the folks at the Head Office have recognized this because it is going into refit in early January 2020 in Spain. The ship was very clean, it does however show its wear and tear, badly needs a paint job, and a number of other upgrades. But it is a great ship and hopefully will be on the high seas for some time to come. Celebrity changed the port of embarkation and disembarkation after final payment was due, from Fort Lauderdale to Miami and we had made our air bookings with Celebrity. This was annoying, but the first time this has ever happened to us. That said, Celebrity made good by offering transfers, gave us a $150 US credit because we had to change our hotel, and reimbursed me for the $90 ride to the hotel in the form of an additional room credit. I hope that Celebrity never does this again, and is appreciative of the fact that it was a real pain/challenge for most of us. The embarkation process was seamless. No issues at all - we boarded the ship immediately upon arrival. Extremely well organized, friendly and very professional. Our stateroom was 1247 - concierge class and we had a nice balcony - great room, highly recommend it. The balcony could easily accommodate the 3 of us. We wrote to Celebrity Dining beforehand and specified a table near a window in the Main Dining Room and we got it. The theme of this review is that Celebrity does its best to please. And they highly succeeded. The meals and service in the Main Dining Room was exceptional, after the first night. We spoke to the Assistant Maitre' D, George, and everything was great after that. The salad bar in the Oceanview Cafe at lunch was very disappointing, we had been on the same ship in March/April for 21 nights and it was much better. This was the only seriously bad thing we experienced on this cruise. Sue Denning was the Cruise Director - exceptional. We have cruised with her onboard many times - she really cares, talks to the passengers, takes a great interest in them and Celebrity is very fortunate to have her as one of their employees - she is a STAR, a really nice person and kind. The entertainment was outstanding - much better than on other cruises. I work very hard in respect of my employment and was looking forward to this vacation to simply relax - if this is what you want to do, it is perfect for this. I feel rejuvenated and ready to go back to work. Everyone, from the Captain down, did their very best to ensure that all of our needs were met and this was a really genuine and sincere effort on their part. The passengers aboard were, for the most part, very kind to each other and respectful. This was appreciated as it was most certainly not the case last April where there were many aboard who were chronically drunk for the entire cruise and very rude. Ports of call were excellent, with the exception of St Croix, which, sadly, had extremely limited shopping and was simply just really poor. I do applaud Celebrity though for adding this port of call to their schedules, as the island badly needs the money. And it is not all about us. Lastly, I would like to congratulate the CEO for taking the initiative to both recruit and promote a historically disadvantaged group in the workforce, women, to key positions in senior management and aboard the ships. This is outstanding and Celebrity are taking the lead on this - by conducting a cruise on March 8, 2020 that is commanded by a female ship captain with senior women in staff positions. So I stick with Celebrity because I am always satisfied, not only with the results but with the strategic thinking in respect of diversity, and doing the right thing.

Another A++++

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by LeRenard

The entertainment was outstanding - much better than on other cruises.

LeRenard’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C2
spectacular, with a huge balcony that is curved
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins