• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

froglaps
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Dec 2019
Cabin: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Ok, so I took my first cruise on the Gem 2 years ago. I was left with disappointment after this one.

Embarkation was long, the ship due to weather was late, ok I do understand that isn't anything Norwegian can control. However staying is with very little information for a long time is very annoying. Then restaging us just to wait again to register/ check in, and re stage us a third time was asinine. Why couldn't they register us as we arrived, then staged us in the order we came for when we're could board the ship while keeping us informed the whole time?

The cabin was nice, clean and as expected. My only displeasure was the retrofitted bathtub. When you stepped into it the floor wasn't solid, it felt like there was water under it, as it moved around as you did. Apparently a new Norwegian or Gem policy is no towel animals, unless requested. The reason given was conservation, I don't see why they would need to use more towels when recreating them, they are unused, and don't need to leave the cabin.. it was really nice to come back to the cabin on the last cruise to find something someone took extra effort to make us feel appreciated. I don't think I'm ever going to ask a cabin steward to go out of his way to try to please me... but the tip was greater last time.

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Nice cabin, with the exception of the soft bathtub floor, which another cabin did not experience.

Port Reviews

New York (Manhattan)

Embarkation was very tedious

Aruba

Went to beach on bus, twas beautiful.

Bonaire

Did a bit of shopping, nice, but very hot so went back to ship.

St. Lucia

Took taxi to beach, the pandering never ceased the whole time at the beach

Find a Norwegian Gem Cruise from $475