Celebrity Edge Cruise Review

Fantastic ship and cruise - but two MDRs severely crashed the party

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by mikkelhansen

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Inside Stateroom

-Dining 3/5: We tried all four MDRs (dinner with Select Plus), Le Petit Chef (dinner), Raw on 5 (lunch), Fine Cut Steakhouse (dinner), Luminae (breakfast) and Oceanview Cafe (breakfast, lunch and 1x dinner). The food was great in all restaurants - see specifics below.

Cosmopolitan (pre-booked timeslot) and Tuscan (walk-in) were very good for being MDRs, quick and attentive service. My wife has gluten allergy, and was promptly recommended specific dishes in these MDRs. She was even offered to pre-order from the next day's menu to avoid allergens (which in turn meant that she could have her all-time favorite carbonara made as gluten-free in Tuscan).

Cyprus (pre-booked timeslot) was below average, clearly stressed/confused waiters, but at least they brought the correct food as ordered. We got a table literally next to the kitchen exit, meaning constant noise and cooks/waiters walking by all the time. No proactive offering to pre-order from the next day's menu, even though they were made aware of my wife's gluten allergy as the first thing.

Normandie (pre-booked timeslot for "Lobster Night"/second Evening Chic night for four persons) was absolutely disastrous; I'm still shocked after our experience there. Complete chaos from start to end: my wife had pre-ordered gluten-free meals the night before, but we still had to ask the waiters for her gluten-free bread three times before they brought it, which was during the entrées. No butter sauce was offered for the lobster (???), we had to ask for it. Our main waiter literally disappeared during our entrées, not to be seen again. Coffee orders got lost/forgotten. My father-in-law actually ended up making a complaint about the experience to their butler, since the experience was so bad.

Le Petit Chef was amazing, very entertaining cartoon playing on the table and plates, and then you get served the dish that the cartoon character “made”. Rumor has it there are two different movies, one currently only on Edge and another on the revolutionized M/S-class ships. It would be fun if the films and thus the menus rotated, otherwise it would be a bit steep to pay for the exact same experience on another sailing.

Raw on 5 was – interesting for my wife and I. We have never before had sushi, so it was a first for us. The food is good, even for sushi novices, but pictures of the dishes, be it on the menu card or in a separate picture book, would definitely be appreciated.

Fine Cut Steakhouse was great, and what I as a European would expect to experience in a real American steakhouse. The cover charge ($55pp) was definitely justified, seeing that you could choose any starter, entrée and dessert. The steaks were huge, very tender and tasty. I ordered the 14oz NY strip steak, but had to surrender about ¾ through. The parmesan fries were poorly done, not fully cooked and tasteless, but the starters, the gruyere tater tots, the sauces and the desserts were all very good.

Luminae would usually be off-limits for us, but since my parents-in-law were in a Sky Suite, we were lucky to get invited to breakfast once in Luminae. The food was great, but it was very annoying to order breakfast a la carte, since there was a significant waiting time from after ordering, before you would get your food. Having eaten in OCV with breakfast buffet all the other days, this was a big annoyance for us.

Oceanview Café was the great all-rounder. Buffet-style food you can understand, no matter if it’s for breakfast, lunch, dinner or in-between.

-Embarkation 5/5: We were lucky to get priority embarkation with my parents-in-law, which worked very smoothly. We arrived around 12.30pm and there was no waiting time. The normal check-in area seemed to be quiet and efficient as well.

-Enrichment Activities 5/5: If you can’t find anything to do onboard, it’s kind of your own fault! There were plenty of shows, music and other activities to enjoy. I’m not a pool person myself, but reports from my family were very positive.

-Entertainment 4/5: Great entertainment, my family enjoyed the Mirage acrobatics show. We were not in the Theatre. The Edge Revelation show was a bit too much for me, the performers get VERY close to you and pick guests randomly to participate in the show. I had to turn an actor down three times when I was chosen to participate. The Casino was great with brand new machines with funny playing concepts - very enjoyable.

Fitness & Recreation 5/5: I was not in the fitness centre, but my wife reports that it was great with nice machines. My wife had two spa treatments which were both great.

Onboard Experience 5/5: Once you get to know the ship’s design, it is nice and easy to move around. The staff always greets you, even if you’ve never seen them before. Everybody was friendly, and participated to creating a nice experience onboard.

Public Rooms 5/5: Lots of space to move around, no matter where you go. The shops are what you would expect on a Celebrity ship; high-end jewelry and watches shops, a bare-necessities kiosk, a merchandise shop and a cosmetics shop. The shop staff wasn’t too pushy when browsing the shops. The bathrooms were kept in top condition.

Service 4/5: As described under the Dining chapter, the service in two MDRs severely impacts this rating as well. Almost everyone onboard was friendly, but the meltdown in two of the four MDRs can’t be made up for by the rest of the friendly staff. The waiter in Luminae also started asking us to rate her out of 10 after our breakfast there – too much!

Shore Excursions 5/5: We were only on one Celebrity shore excursion, which was the post-cruise Everglades Airboat Ride. It was absolutely fantastic! After being cheated out of the experience back in January (not Celebrity’s fault, but the tour operator’s), we were looking very much forward to the experience this time. Everything went smoothly, and we even got to buy the excursion with a discount. I would highly recommend this excursion, if you haven’t been there already!

Value For Money 5/5: You might get to pay a bit more if going on Edge over another Celebrity ship, but in my opinion it is justified (up to a certain degree, of course). You get a very new ship with very good facilities onboard, which in my opinion counts heavily when calculating the worth of the holiday vs. the amount spent on it. We got a great offer back in June, and we took it. We would not hesitate to go on Edge again, should we get another good offer.

mikkelhansen's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Inside Stateroom

-Cabin 5/5: Our deluxe inside stateroom on deck 8 was fantastic. Comfortable, low-key colours all-round and kept in perfect condition by our stateroom attendant, Nazareth. We loved his towel animals every evening! The shower was spacious and there was plenty of storage space.

San Juan

Great shopping area, and several cultural/historic spots within walking distance of the pier.

Tortola

Very dead island. A shopping block on the pier, but otherwise nothing to see in the area.

mikkelhansen