Scenic Opal Cruise Review

2019 Christmas Market Cruise with Prague extension

Scenic Opal Cruise Review by jrhouser

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: Europe River

This was our second cruise with Scenic. Our first was on Scenic Jewel for 8 days, and we had a blast, so we went with Scenic once again. I had been to Christmas markets before but my wife had not, so I told her our next cruise would be the Christmas market cruise.

We started out with the Prague extension first, and the hotel, The Art Deco Imperial Hotel, was outstanding. I had never been in a hotel room that offered 1 1/2 baths with heated flooring. We were met at the airport by a Scenic representative and transferred to the hotel within 15 minutes of getting through customs. Our tour guide, Tomas, was very helpful and very knowledgeable. One of the best I have ever seen. We went by coach from Prague to Budapest and boarded the Scenic Opal. The rest of the cruise was what I expected from Scenic, which was nothing short of outstanding. The only hiccup we had was when there was some low water concerns at one of the locks upstream. We ended up docked at Vilshofen for a little over a day. Every one on board was offered 3 choices, to stay on board the ship, to discontinue the trip and fly home, or to board motor coaches and continue by land. Each was offered with a monetary benefit. Not one person decided to opt to leave the ship. The captain worked his magic and we were able to continue up river. The man was simply amazing. The cruise director, Alex, kept everyone informed and spirits on board high.

The rest of the cruise went on without too many more problems, other then a barge who decided to poke along and slow us up for a while. My only complaint about anything is that they serve a five star meal at dinner. I am and always have been the type of person who doesn't see a good meal unless the plate is covered with food. Also I like good German wines, and there were not enough of them on board.

One of biggest benefits of Scenic, is that once you are on board, you do not put your hand in to your pocket for anything unless you buy something from the gift shop. All the drinks are free on board. They do not have "sprit packages" that you need to buy.

Alex briefed us on debarkation the day before we were to leave the ship. We were told when we were to have our bags out and when we were scheduled to leave the ship. This made everything go smoothly the next day. We had a chance to say good bye to Alex and to thank the Captain for everything before we were put in a car and transported to the airport.

Getting off both of our Scenic cruises have been hard. We were treated well both times. My wife is wondering where we will go on our next vacation, but she did not have to ask which cruise line we would use. It will be Scenic.

jrhouser's Full Rating Summary

A very nice room with plenty of room to hang up clothes and shelves to put clothes on. The luggae fits underneath the bed so they do not take up any room at all. The veranda is big enough for two to sit comfortable on, and was warm enough to do so even in November and December.

Budapest

A beautiful city with a lot of historic sites to see.

jrhouser