Viking Alruna Cruise Review

Once-in-a-lifetime? I sure hope not!

Viking Alruna Cruise Review by AGBharpist

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom

It being their 40th wedding anniversary, my parents decided to go big —then graciously brought my brother and I along to explore the Rhine River and the culture surrounding it. What a whirlwind of incredible food and drink, sights, fun, and new friends!

From the moment we saw the Viking representatives at the Basil airport, we knew we were in good hands. Everyone was so personable, welcoming us to the city, packing us into the spacious van, and bringing us down the gangplank to our new home-away-from-home, the Alruna. From that moment on I tried not to blink too long for fear of missing something.

First, the food...oh my, what food! Every selection at every meal, be it entree, baked item, or dessert, was absolutely scrumptious. I think about several dishes, such as the asparagus soup and schnitzel, QUITE often. The wine choices were incredible, and the servers were warm, friendly, and often very funny. Despite the language barriers and cultural differences, I loved how easy it was to talk to them; as Victor Borge said, “laughter is the shortest distance between two people.”

Our cabin was so well-designed, the size itself made no difference. There were plenty of places for everything, and the beds were comfortable. As a designer myself, I appreciated the clever use of space in the bathroom especially. I never once felt crowded or cramped, and the provided toiletries smell amazing.

Every included excursion was fun and informative, and our selected excursions were also pleasant. Janet, our tour host, was amazing; so knowledgeable, friendly, and open! She was 100% approachable and spoke to each guest as though she had known us for years and wanted nothing more than our comfort and happiness, all with a sense of humor and fun.

There was always so much do to onboard and on shore this Viking journey — just remembering it now, months later, brings floods of color, smells, and joy to my mind. If I could have done ONE thing differently, I would have arrived earlier in Basil. It took my body and brain about a day to adjust to the sleeping schedule on board, and I know there were amazing things to see and do in that city! I’d also have loved to explore Amsterdam some at the end of the journey, as well — though we did get included airfare, so I am absolutely NOT complaining! Just making a note of what I shall do on my NEXT Viking cruise. It was everything I’d hoped for and beyond!

AGBharpist's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Stateroom

So wonderfully designed, spacious, and amazingly comfortable.

Heidelberg

Loved Heidelberg Castle! Our tour guide wasnt the best, but his idiosyncratic use of the English language gave us laughs for years and years to come.

Strasbourg

This was a lovely excursion, and our guide was excellent.

Basel

Since our flight into Basel was delayed, we didn’t get to do anything there but get on the van and then the ship. Alas! An unfair rating but all I can do.

Koblenz

A beautiful outing & it had snowed, and we all felt we had stumbled into one of the (happier) Grimms Brothers stories.

Cologne

This was truly awesome. Not only the cathedral, but this entire city was fascinating. History and modernity together! We have nothing like it in the States.

Cologne

Loved every minute of it! I wish I could remember our tour guides name, because she was truly excellent.

AGBharpist