3. Carnival Liberty
I found an incredible deal on a 4 day cruise so I took my sister with me and got on board. The boarding process was quick and easy with plenty of smiles to go around. Only 4 days means you can carry everything on so you can avoid the whole checked bag system that is often a nightmare. The ship itself (Liberty) is fairly small, which can be an advantage, and never felt overcrowded except once on sea day when it was 65 degrees outside and most people were trying to stay inside. The room attendants all appeared to be happy and friendly, saying good morning to everyone that passed by them. The room was kept tidy and I liked the towels. The layout of this room, non-converting twins, was roomy and spacious for sisters not wanting to sleep three inches apart or in bunk beds. So, that was the good. The bad was a little more extensive and the meh is even more so. Our cabin, 2201, was freezing, with the AC stuck to full on. Did I mention it was in the 60s on this cruise? So inside the cabin was probably in the low 40s. We kept on shoes and jackets and propped the door open a little. Once we ran the shower on hot for 10 minutes to heat the room so we could change our clothes. When we reported it we were met with “how cold exactly?” Like we carry a thermometer... the next day, water started pouring out of the light fixture above one of the beds. The cabin steward acted fast and drug the mattress off the bed and put a trash can there, calling for an emergency maintenance crew. They had the leak fixed in about 4 hours and we were allowed back into our room. We were glad to get to put in our bathing suits finally so we could find a hot tub- our air was still cranking out at super-freeze temps- but right when we made it to the hot tub on our at sea day, I was told I couldn’t get in because they were about to close them. Now the two by the main pool were full of the 8-10 year old crowd, and one in the Serenity adult area was roped off and taken apart- the whole cruise. So, no hot tub for us... Cold in the room wasn’t all bad though, because I keep my medication refrigerated and the “cooler” in the room was warm. Not like upper 60s warm, like 78 warm. We reported it and were told “it’s not a refrigerator, it’s a cooler” by everyone we told. So, we hunkered down for another freezing cold night in the room after reporting once again (4 times total) that it was too cold and we couldn’t get the cold air to stop. The next day, we came back from breakfast and a walk into our port location to find workmen in our room with the ceiling taken apart. All good signs, but we had already been kept out of our room the day before. One guy said 15 minutes. We came back a few times over the next 5+ hours as they installed a new AC fan unit and finally at 4:30, they had our room vacuumed up and blessedly the same temp as the hallway! So much for not doing a tour so we could get a nap in. That takes us to the end of our second full day (day three they call it) and we are now able to use our room. Our cooler still isn’t cool. Day four in the room is uneventful. The horrid pink trim still clashes with the burgundy and gold carpet (which was only squishy wet until we woke up on day 3 from the previous day’s flood), the ceiling was still scratched and rusty, and an entire wall was just a big empty, plastic wallpapered ugliness. Mixed with the old dim lighting fixtures, it is pretty grim despite the lovely layout. The meh is all the service. We stumbled upon a few crew members that were smiling and friendly, but for the most part, outside of the cabin stewards who all seemed very friendly, they walked around doing a resting-*itch-face impression. The food was OK. The portions were way too big, the service was slow and sort of polite- at best. They take your entire order, including dessert and drinks all at once, stack up old dishes-including scraping old food into one big pile- right next to your table and leave it there for your whole meal. Yuk. There is always a line of an hour or more for customer service, the library is not well stocked at all, and the cakes they put out at snack time were frozen solid so the servers couldn’t even cut many of them for hours. There were dozens more of the meh variety but this is getting long, so suffice it to say, the service wasn’t the end of the world, but it wasn’t good. In the end, what did they give me for not having a good or working or accessible cabin for well over half the cruise? A $20 meal upgrade in the main dining room and a drink. Just one drink.

Tired,

StayAtHomeMom’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Liberty price drops

Interior Upper/Lower
Cabin 1A
While this is called an upper lower, really it is a bed and a sofa converted to a bed. Super hard mattress on the sofa.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins