We chose this repositioning cruise because of the itinerary and wanted to do more of South Africa. Overall the ship was clean and tidy, the staff must take a lot of credit for this.
But we were disappointed over a lot of things such as the following (some can be attributed to the staff having to say it in several languages and people talking over it).
- The mandatory emergency drill briefing was not clear or audible
-Deck 7 (promenade deck) wasn’t made use of by the shipping line as they could have put chairs on it to encourage people to use it
- slow restaurant and wine service
- food served was poor, what highlighted this was the tv kept on showing a 5* meal being created for passengers but it was never served or seen on any menu
- Some wines ran out at the beginning of the voyage. Also some bars ran out of a type of wine yet other adjacent bars had it
- the savannah bar didn’t have enough staff when busy yet in the adjacent bar they were standing around doing nothing
- the staff and management were confused over what you were entitled to re your bar package (why not simplify it?)
- a lot of the shows were poor (a lot of people also voiced this), the shows kept on having a circuses act in the middle!,!!! In fact there were a lot of people including us, who had to leave as they were so bad
The TV service was almost non existent especially galling when we couldn’t see the rugby.
- the ship’s captain was changed during the cruise but the passengers were not told until after the event (not that we needed to be told, they could have announced it during the “meet your (now previous) captain” cocktail party / black tie event.
- the ship’s hygiene controls were poor until 1/2 way through the cruise. They didn’t encourage anyone to use the hand sterilisation stations when you went into the restaurant. The passengers and had a bad upper respiratory infection (including us) it was so rife, the small shop ran out of cough treatment and some passengers and staff were going to the medical centre for treatment (during the shows, there was a constant chorus of hacking coughs!,). After it became a real problem, then finally the hygiene controls were improved
- we booked a ship’s shore excursion which wasn’t to the standard we were led to believe. During the journey back, the excursion manager was sitting next to us and he also agreed it wasn’t right. We wrote to the excursion desk who didn’t even bother reading it as when I enquired they hadn’t looked at it!! So don’t bother complaining!!
- the activities on board were mainly biased to dancing or drinking!!
In summary, I believe the management controls and understanding of the market they have sold to needs improving.
Will I go on another MSC cruise, probably not unless the venues and costs are something that we cannot refuse.
Good and spacious