3. Marella Explorer
After an uneventful flight from Stansted, when we arrived at Tenerife we were directed by a Tui rep. to leave the airport and turn left.! There we encountered a large crowd whom after asking other passengers were made aware “we” were queueing - for over two hours - for coach transfer to the ship. This was totally unacceptable as we had left home at 06:30. When we eventually got on the correct coach sat there or over an hour the delay was for no obvious reason. When we arrived at the ship terminal there was a short delay to go through the check-in formalities. When we got to our cabin – 4108 we were favourably impressed. Due to the delay in getting to the ship within a short time we off to attend the ships safety drill. It was that night when our first impressions became very negative. It was almost impossible to sleep, there was a loud vibration from the air conditioning system ventilator. As the night progressed further loud “mechanical” noises came from the deck below ours and there was a constant vibration throughout the cabin. We apparently were not the only passengers on deck 4 who were complaining about the noise. After complaining to the ships reception we were offered another cabin which we declined as there was no window. The food on the ship was good however as per previous experiences on other Marella ships there was a constant flow of people trying to find seating in the buffet restaurants. During our last dinner in the Latitude restaurant we were told by the waiter that as we had paid for the optional drinks package upgrade a better quality wine was available to us with our meal as opposed to the carafe house wine. What a waste of money. As we had never been there we were looking forward to our visit to La Gomera. However due to the weather conditions it was not possible to dock the ship so we spent a very unpleasant day at sea. At the end of our cruise the transfer to the coaches taking us onward to our hotel was more farcical than our transfer to the ship. To reach the location of the coaches and our luggage we walked the length of the quay in pouring rain. Consequently, once we had retrieved our luggage and boarded the coach we were soaked through. Yet another delay when a Tui rep, discovered that a number of passengers had been assigned to the wrong coach. At the end of our awful cruise experience what could be more appropriate than lost luggage? Well that is what happened, my luggage did not arrive in Stansted and based on the information received after a total lack of support from Tui, including the Tui travel agency the trip was booked through, it was found to be still in Tenerife. I eventually got it back after 7 days. We have been on a number of Tui/Marella cruises and have noticed that their standards have steadily declined and cost cutting is obvious in the drinks available. In the Broadway Show Lounge there used to be a waiter drinks service throughout the performance now I was offered a bottle of beer as I entered the Lounge. Worst is the lack of staff especially in the Coffee Port where often there are two staff - one delivering drinks the other dispensing them. In addition, some of the waiters are extremely rude and clearly have had little training. One evening, service in the “Lounge” bar was very slow and a number of guests were agitated. When a waiter arrived he too was agitated and made his annoyance clear. When he came to take my order he pointed at me and shouted “You”. My wife and I are of the opinion that this will be our last Tui/ Marella cruise as in the years they have been operating cruises they seemed to have learned little apart from how to save money.

A very noisy cabin. Marella's standards have declined, our last cruise with them

Marella Explorer Cruise Review by BazDurrent

BazDurrent’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Explorer price drops

Very noisy, vibration from the air conditioning ventilator, loud mechanical noise from the deck below. Good shower.