3. Norwegian Spirit
I've given it some serious thought and a few weeks to cool down, but I still feel this way two weeks after disembarking, so here we go: Excursions: Most of our very expensive excursions were completely ruined by older people who were clearly mobility challenged and should not have been allowed on the buses for the activity levels described. Our Athens excursion did not include 1/3 of the promised tour because the city was blocked off for an event - we received no notice and no compensation for this reduction. Additionally, the Pompeii excursion was very clearly listed as challenging with no mobility impaired persons allowed and yet there were no less than SIX people with canes on the tour. We got to see about 2 acres of Pompeii before an old lady, who had been complaining about the difficulty of the terrain ad nauseum, fell in the road and had to be helped back out. Why are these clearly mobility impaired people allowed on challenging level excursions? Our money was basically stolen from us to support the needs of these other people. We at no point received the excursions we had paid for because of constant issues with mobility impaired persons. As far as other ports, missing Argostoli & Venice was a bummer, but not the fault of NCL. We very much enjoyed Ravenna other than the bus snafu at the end where we had to wait an hour and a half for the shuttle back to port. Food: The food in the specialty restaurants was fine - I'd say Outback Steakhouse quality, so not really a value for what I was expecting. Le Bistro was good, Cagney's was good, but had a super odd order of operations where you didn't get a drink until like 20 minutes in. La Trattoria was Fazoli's quality pasta and my chicken entree was so overcooked it was completely inedible. The dining rooms were, frankly, disgusting and the menu choices were awful. Once in Garden I was served a baked ziti dish, which for some reason contained raw carrots???? We kept finding very weird items in the food. There was no time onboard where any salad dressing tasted as it should have and all of them seemed to contain sugar for some reason?? It was as if no one in the entire kitchen staff had ever tasted what any of the dishes were actually supposed to be like. Also, in Garden we were given 2 salt shakers instead of a salt & pepper twice - the second time, after we waited about 15 minutes trying to get the attention of someone, my husband got up and walked to an unoccupied table to retrieve pepper at which point a staff member YELLED AT HIM. I guess that was the only way to get their attention. Outside of our specialty credits, we began to eat only at Blue Lagoon and the buffet because of bad experiences in both dining rooms. The choices for the buffet were bizarre, but occasionally palatable. Blue Lagoon was completely hit or miss. Our final meal there, they gave our food away to the table next to us who had just sat down and then didn't notice for a half hour, at which point instead of asking us what we had ordered they just started bringing random items to our table that we refused. When I got frustrated and repeated our order to them, they became very rude thereafter. When correct food was finally delivered to us, the waiter asked in a an angry tone if we needed anything else and I said no at which point he looked at me and said, "GOOD!" and then walked off in a huff. They also seemed to cook a big batch of fries and then double fry them in order to rewarm them when they were ordered, which made them like bricks. Several times we ordered something only to find that they had fried it in the same oil as the fish and it tasted gross. We ate at Shoguns once - I say ate, but really we got food that was so inedible that we got up from the table and went to Blue Lagoon. Our cabin steward was wonderful and much of the bar staff was lovely, specifically everyone at Champagne Charlie's (Christina, Timmy, Ferdinando, etc.) They really made our cruise bearable by being so wonderful and going out of their way to provide the best service on the ship. I think I would have totally lost it if not for them. Speaking of bar staff - when you advertise a whiskey tasting, it should not contain FIVE VERSIONS OF JACK DANIELS. What the heck?? Who even wants that?? If I wanted 5 shots of Jack Daniels for $20, then I'd go back to college. Whose idea was this? It was like there was no oversight of anything from food to beverage. Half the beer taps were broken and the ones that weren’t only served three very odd beers. If you were going to choose one light beer to put on tap, then why on God’s green earth would it be Heineken?! Entertainment: We went to see one show, World Beat, the performers were all very talented, but we found to content of the show to be racist and offensive. For the fan dance, they literally chose the only white woman in the cast to perform it. So weird. It felt like we were somehow trapped in 1975 - the only music options were easy listening and jazz hits. Activities were things like bingo and weird trivia topics? I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. Ship Condition: As to the condition of the ship? Whoo boy. It really needs that retrofit. Our deck smelled constantly of sewage. Our entire bathroom reeked for most of the journey and the hallway smell was nauseating. The elevators were at NO POINT usable because everyone on the ship was 90, apparently, and incapable of walking up a flight of stairs. The ship should have been put to dry dock months, if not years, ago. NCL had no right to charge money for this as absolutely nothing lived up to advertisement. I would have rather ridden a bus to our destinations. We were just... I can't even tell you how disappointed I was that we spent this kind of money on this cruise. We saved for a long time for this trip and it was utterly ruined for us. I will never sail with or spend money on Norwegian again and I have canceled the one future cruise deposit I had placed before sailing. My entire family was planning to sail a similar itinerary in June across 10 cabins for the graduation of my younger sister and have decided to cancel and go with another cruise line based on our experience. I hope something in this can be helpful, but mostly I feel like we at least deserved to have opinions be heard for how much money we paid and how little we got for it. I didn’t even bother to include here the difficulties we had initially dealing with phone CS and our flights.This was just an all-around bad experience from book to disembark.

First & last cruise

lmhwhite’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Spirit price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA
Our cabin was dated, but fine.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins