3. Norwegian Getaway
First off I would like to commend all of the staff and officers for doing the very best they could with the overbooked cruise nightmare we just got off of. Clearly NCL did not have adequate staff or room for all the extra people this holiday weekend. This was a Thanksgiving Cruise and I believe we had overbooking by over 900 people (4,900+ staff). I certainly hope you will not have to deal with this, but this review is based on that Holiday. So I have been on 32 Cruises / 11 NCL / 2nd Getaway Dining - Plan Ahead. You will wait and wait and wait to be seated if you can at all, even if you book right when you get on the ship. We made the mistake of not pre-booking our meals prior to sailing. Tropicana (Main) was sold out every night the second we boarded. Taste and Savor were 1 hour wait or better most nights. PRE BOOK BEFORE YOUR CRUISE. Food Service - Dining rooms were very crowded, main coarse plates were served to the table of 5 sometimes 15 minutes apart with only the Head Waiter to beg for warm food as they scurried from table to table - clearly over worked in a very crowded room. Having to ask for things like water refills, waiting 20 minutes for drink service, butter for the bread, hot coffee in the morning and even sugar for it seem a bit absurd after 32 cruises (2nd on Getaway). The usual chaos can be found in the buffet lines with people grabbing, touching and cutting in line as cold and flu season are full steam ahead. Entertainment - The entertainment was excellent as usual. Make sure you pre-book all your shows or there will be very limited availability at the last minute. The theatre is one of the smallest I have seen. If you did not make your dinner reservations in advance chances are you will be late for showtime, though I certainly hope not. Tender in Roatan - Despite what you paid for the Port in Roatan is leased to Royal Caribbean, whom arrived after we did and drove right past us to take the dock. I found this out after talking to several tour operators and port staff members. NCL is only allowed to dock there if Royal Caribbean is not in port that day. Love how the staff on NCL Getaway acted like they didn't know until the night before our arrival. This last minute tender process put hot chaos into our plans as well as overburdened the staff last minute even further. The tender process will take 1 hour or more each way. In 80 degree weather this can be very uncomfortable ride for you as you wait to get to shore and then smile as you wait to get back to the ship. Drink Service / Open Bar - Sunset Bar published opening time was not honored with over 20 people asking/waiting for service for over an hour. They had staff there, but were not allowed to serve unless the Bar Manager arrived from a PAID WINE TASTING. We had the bar package yet NCL prefers to take customers who pay additional before serving us. Thankfully we only had to walk 10 steps to one that was open and they do have many others available. Internet - Pretty fast internet to start off with, but very soon after the first few uses the lagging started. Make sure you Logout of your internet portal or the time keeps ticking away. They do have a good app (free) on the ship to text and call each other ($9.95 a person for contact) as well as provide you info on shore excursions, dining options, entertainment, and a schedule of the daily events you can plan ahead on. The con is that they sent a text message asking me to rate the app, which I had to logon to the internet in order to rate. WARNING TO ALL: If you miss the "All Aboard" time, they will leave you. Our cruise left at least 3 people that missed all the announcements, signs in the elevator, publications in the daily planner as well as departure info at the exit. Take a NCL excursion and they will wait for your no matter what, but if you go at your own and miss the all aboard time..... ……….Good Luck Getting Home...….. Overall - This cruise was 2 stars for the above mentioned overbooking, dining, staffing issues mentioned above. My last trip on the Getaway (3 years ago) was 5 stars. The shows were fabulous provided you can get there if waiting for dinner holds you up. Not hitting a port in Roatan certainly ruined that day for us. Most certainly think the overcrowding was a huge issue, one that we will plan for better next time, but also think that the cruise line could have prepared for this much better. I commend all the staff for doing the best they could and wish you all the very best sailing on your trip. God Bless

Overpaid / Overbooked / Under Staffed = Nightmare

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by CruiseGuy75

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom

So I have been on 32 Cruises / 11 NCL / 2nd Getaway

……….Good Luck Getting Home...…..

God Bless
CruiseGuy75’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BB
Very Clean and well kept.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins