3. Celebrity Infinity
Traveled with my mom. This was on her bucket list. When i found it on a travel site i've used before for a decent price, I called to alert her. She jumped at the chance to go. FLIGHT: We flew from NYC to Budapest, to get 2 days of Budapest in before the cruise. We made the HUGE mistake of flying Alitalia "Magnifica" Business Class. Alitalia -- never again. The flight attendants in business didn't smile once. They acted like they absolutely HATED their jobs. Food was not good. Service was absent. Slept well in the Magnifica seat/bed though. Arrived in Rome late and missed the ONLY connecting flight a day to Budapest on alitalia. We arrived at 9:00 am and our flight to Budapest was on the other side of the airport and with customs we couldn't make it there by 9:15 am, when boarding ended. They rebooked us on the flight the next day....so we spent an entire day in an airport Hilton Garden Inn and only got ONE day in Budapest. Sucks because Budapest was amazing. Alitalia took almost 3 hours to reissue our ticket as we sat at the FCO airport completely jetlagged. They treated us like it was our fault that we missed the flight. Everyone acted like helping us was a huge inconvenience (I wonder how they treat their economoy class customers if this was our experience) and again everyone seemed to hate their job. A huge difference from the corporate culture at Delta. Thank GOD we had booked Delta on the way home, Budapest Hotel: Stayed at the Marriott on the Danube. AMAZING view from executive lounge veranda. Awesome hotel and even better executive lounge -- with views that were just breathtaking. Will stay there again. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the executive floor to get that dusk view. You'll never forget it. I've been to Europe over 30 times and never had the view at dusk that i had from that veranda. Wow. Boarding: We got back to FCO via Alitalia after just one memorable night in Budapest (need to go back soon). No issues on this flight but employees were just as droll. We flew Economy on the flight back to FCO and although seat width was fine, only 29" of legroom. EEK! Arrived at port around noon and surprisingly there was really no line for boarding. I think a lot of people were still arriving from the airport and we had gotten in the night before and stayed at a local hotel in Civitavecchia. We were onboard within 10 minutes of queuing. Wow. The Ship: OK, yeah, it's old and needs to be refurbished. But...it was clean throughout. The bars were dark and had that 90's cruise ship vibe. Some previous reviewers mentioned smelling septic sometimes during the cruise. We did too. Most notable was in late afternoon in the Rendezvous bar. Pools were nice. We really liked the salt water pool! Like the Celebrity Summit, they do a lot of games and Zumba and stuff during the days. It was a lot of fun and we danced a lot. Bars are limited on the Millennium class ships. We're so tired of the Martini bar. We really missed not having a bar by Guest Relations, like on Solstice class. We loved going there in the early afternoon! Also love the World Class Bar on the Solstice class ships. Loved it even more when it was the Molecular Bar. The location made for a nice place to meet up before a show for a drink. Missed it on the Infinity The Martini bar was always full of drunkards who were loud and obnoxious. Not our style. We were excited about the Outdoor Movie thingy. We had done this on the Star Princess and just loved it! But this area was WAY FAR from any bar to get a drink! And no servers there coming around. BOO!!! On Princess it's in the middle of the deck and near an outdoor bar. Here it was pushed into a corner where no one ever went to. You really had to work to find the area. As a result few people watched the movies. Not well laid out. Cabin: We really liked the feel of this cabin. It just felt cozy -- like Jeannie's bottle! The sofa felt like a sofa -- unlike those plastic blocks they call sofas on the Solstice class ships. The make up table was very wide and well lit. The chair to the make up table was missing a roller, but the attendant had engineering fix it by the next day. We didn't like the bathroom though. It was like bright white and clinical, like a hospital bathroom. It was also really really small. Smallest of any Aqua Class cabin bathroom. But we had only done AC on Solstice class prior to this trip. We found storage space to be plentiful. Food: We made it to breakfast only once. We were in Aqua Class, so we went to Blu. Breakfast was very good. My smoothie was excellent there. Eggs benedict always good in Blu. No different on this ship. Service also good. We did lunch either at the salad bar (light salad) or the Aqua Spa cafe. We like light lunches. The buffet had a good lunch (as buffets go.) The Indian food at the buffet was quite good! The Aqua Spa cafe was terrific! The light chicken salad blew my world apart. I NEED that recipe! The fruit plate and noodles awesome too there. We met a nice couple from Dublin, California there! We usually get burgers a lot at the grill on Celebrity cruises, but we didn't like the taste of the burgers on this cruise. They weren't horrible but just didn't taste like the normal Celebrity burgers. We only did the grill once on our 12 night cruise, as a result. Too bad. We thought the food in Infinity's Blu restaurant was the best Blu food we've had in all our Aqua Class cruises. We've done Reflection twice in AquaClass, Equinox 3 times, and Infinity once. We'd give Reflection 4 out of 5 stars. Equinox 3.5 out of 5 stars. Infinity 4.5 out of 5 stars. The only weak points were: the tomato based soups used tomato puree that was abominable and then the desserts. Surely the chef didn't taste this soup before serving. It was absolutely dreadful. Soups without the tomato base were great. The desserts on Celebrity are always just "meh". Doesn't matter where you order, other than Murano. We had wonderful servers in Blu. Our waiter was from a suburb of Mumbai that was only 4 miles from the hotel i always stay at there! We talked about favorite restaurants in the area and shopping in Hiranandani Gardens. We gave him a great post-cruise review. All the servers and back servers we had in Blu were excellent. Ivory, the hostess from the Philippines was a hoot! Ask her how she got her name! lol She worked very hard and knew everyone by name by the 2nd night -- amazing. Alex, the dining room manager was young but very efficient. We met many nearby dining couples each night who were really quite lovely. We always meet the best people in Blu! The wine steward was also a hoot! He was everywhere!! Never have i seen a sommelier as active as him. He knows like 5 different languages too! He was so funny. Everyone loved him. The red meat on this cruise, in Blu, was just exceptional. Everything was so tender and delicious. The filet mignon with celery root puree just melted in your mouth. The ribeye with black truffle vinaigrette was just explosive. My new favorite is the lobster ravioli. I had never had it! It was amazing! The food was so good we never dined in a specialty restaurant. Normally we'll do a night in Murano (no Murano on this ship) and somewhere else on a long cruise; the hologram dinner at Quisine looked good. We just didn't wanna miss the next dinner at Blu! ENTERTAINMENT: Very good! Surprisingly good. I think Celebrity is weakest in entertainment. Their performers are normally just not very good. We were surprised to see that the singers could both sing AND dance! And the singers were mostly pretty good on this cruise! The lead male was excellent He acted very cocky but i guess he deserves to be. He could easily work on Broadway. Very talented. The Broadway review they did was fantastic! My mom said it was the best she's ever heard on a cruise ship and she's a music major. I thought it was as good as the Celebrity Constellation's entertainment team. We thought that group was easily Celebrity's best, before this cruise. Why does Celebrity put its BEST singers/dancers on the worst cruise ships in its fleet?! I guess it's to try and even out the experience. The Barricade Boys (a group of West End (London's Broadway) actors were fantastic. Their harmonies were spot on and they were ultra professional. This was the strongest outside act we saw the entire cruise. The comedian on the first night (UK guy) was the best comedian of the cruise, hands down. He was really funny. . The magician was pretty amazing too, with some card trick's that i'd never seen before. OK, saving my last bit for complaints. We got internet included in our perks. BIG mistake. I was hoping to do some work while on the cruise. In order to get off 2 weeks straight, i had promised i would get ship internet to return emails, do conference calls, etc. Well....forget that. Speed was between 1 and 2.5 MBPs -- the ENTIRE cruise. I complained about 8 times to the guy who runs the computer lounge. He did NOTHING to assist. I complained over 5 days. He finally came to my room and said the room was in a bad place in the ship and the old metal doors smothered my connectivity. He gave me another room to use for 3 hours during our last day at sea but the internet was equally as bad there. I couldn't do much in terms of emails and conference calls were impossible. He promised $112 of onboard credit since we couldn't use the internet and he never gave it. I had to call him from his bedroom at 12:00 midnight the last night, as the front desk said he never put it in, despite me asking 4 times if he was gonna do it. When he came down he said he couldn't do it, but with no further explanation. I was LIVID. I talked for over an hour with a manager, and they finally agreed to a $100 off future cruise certificate for me and my mom. Not what we were promised but i guess better than nothing. My experience with their computer lounge guy was HORRIFIC. M Our room steward (don't remember his name, which is weird cuz i called his phone about twice a day due to poor service) was one of the worst we'ver ever had. I had to retroactively call him to do things that normally a steward does on his own. Like our luggage. We were completely unpacked and he never put away the suitcases! By 9:00 pm that first night they still weren't put away. I finally called him and asked him to put them away while we went out for drinks Never has that happened before. He also never filled conditioner in the shower. I called him about it on Day 3 and then had to do the same on Day 5, Day 7, etc.... I told him we liked a lil bucket of ice every evening, but seems i had to ask him daily for it if i truly was gonna get any ice. He also accidentally threw away my hair wax and said he didn't. I searched the room top to bottom and so did he. No hair wax. Was there before i left for lunch and gone when i came back from lunch, when the room was cleaned. Weird. I understand stuff like this happens but i had no other back up, so the last 4 days of the cruise my hair looked like death. The wax was stored above the garbage bin. I'm thinking it got knocked off during cleaning and fell into the can and he just took out the trash, with the wax in it. Just my guess. But overall, we enjoyed our cruise. The staff -- aside from the guy in the computer lounge-- was fantastic. Everyone was so nice and cheery during our first day and i really noticed that. They were upbeat so we became upbeat! That was really nice. Even the bartenders on this ship were friendly (Celebrity bartenders, particularly out by the pool, are typically these Jamaican guys who are known for being quite surly). The staff on this ship was about 80% Filipino, and maybe that was why they were friendlier....haha. I got to illustrate my only 2 phrases i know in tagalog, which made the bartenders laugh. Gringo so stoopid. haha Return flight: We flew RyanAir (only direct flight available in the morning from Athens to Budapest). I had flown them before, around 2005 and was NOT impressed. We paid extra for the bulklhead seats for more legroom. The seats though were very narrow and uncomfortable. Thankfully just a 1h 45 min flight. We stayed at an airport hotel in Budapest that night and flew home in the morning. The hotel was fine and the price was good. i needed the day to catch up on work email, so no use in taking a taxi ride into and out of the city when we weren't gonna get to experience any of it. We had lunch at a local McDonald's (that and Burger King was all that was around) where i got a "Maestro Goosey Gustav" sandwich. That's a bun, caramelized onions, mayo, watercress, and grilled goose livers! Hey, when in Rome! It was pretty darned good -- if you like goose livers! We walked to a local mega-store and loaded up on local beers, chips, mixed nuts, cheese, and some wine. We snacked on all this and finally went to bed. The next morning we took Czech Airlines (first time!) from BUD to Prague. Alitalia, when rebooking our Budapest flight on the way from JFK (due to late flight arrival) messed with our return ticket. They somehow kicked us out of our business class seats on Czech Airlines (thanks again, Alitalia...sigh) and when i asked for them to put us back they said they couldn't. They said: "oh well, sorry about that, but it's now showing full," with no partial refund or anything. That airline is just so beyond.... But the kind lady at the Czech Airlines desk figured out the Alitalia booking error and got us back into our seats the morning of departure. They really weren't totally full in biz class after all. The Czech Airline flight attendants were really quite sweet. Their service was fantastic on such a short flight. They reminded me of the great KLM flight attendants i had on a CDG to AMS flight the month prior. They taught my mom a lil secret to combat in-flight cramps (club soda! who knew?!). A complete 180 degree difference from our biz class flight attendants from JFK to Rome on Alitalia. At Prague, we found the skyteam lounge and had a Czech beer. I love czech beer. We only had 20 minutes to spend in the lounge before the flight boarded. We had Delta equipment on our return to JFK. I was so ready for competent service and good food. Delta delivered!! Some of the best food i've had on a Delta ONE (that's what Delta calls their international biz class) flight in several years. And the flight attendants were just heavenly -- funny, sweet, and uber friendly. We told them about our Alitalia flight out and they were like, "Relax, sugar. You're with Delta now. You're in good hands." And they were SO right!! Excellent flight attendants and terrific service. Alitalia needs to look into what Delta does, because their biz model now SUCKS. Arrived in JFK to an absolutely packed JFK lounge. I had never seen it this packed. A big lounge but they're upgrading part of it, so they've temporarily lost some square footage. It took us nearly 5 minutes to find 2 seats together. Wow. Every time we go in there, we always seem to see someone famous. We sat beside Michael J Fox and his wife the year before, as we were heading out to Barcelona. They were heading to Vegas. He was having a really bad day with his Parkinsons and it was evident he was in a lot of pain by the constant grimaceo n his face. His wife was a real champ, tending to his needs and really supporting him. He married a good one there. Time before that i saw Oliver Platt who was just livid over his canceled Delta flight. He had heavily dated one of my former roommies in Atlanta, so i wanted to let him know who i was. But he was in such a bad mood, i just stood clear. haha On this night we sat about 3 tables away from Billy Joel and some lady. I stopped and said "hello" and we chatted for like 30 seconds about ...well...how absolutely full this lounge was! He was blown away too! We flew another Delta flight from JFK to Charlotte. Again -- terrific service from Delta. We were exhausted and let the flight attendants know when they came around to provide pre-departure beverages. But they were super nice and offered us extra pillows, in case we just wanted to sleep. We arrived to Charlotte around 11:00 pm. My stepdad picked us up, we stopped off at a QT for a hot dog and a beer and we got home around 12:15 a.m. Mischief managed. :-P

Good Cruise Overall

Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by ATLConsultant

Pools were nice. We really liked the salt water pool!

Mischief managed. :-P
ATLConsultant’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Infinity price drops

Aqua Class
Cabin A2
Great space other than the bathroom. Tons of storage. Bathroom tiny! The shower worked fine but was tiny. Beds were very comfortable (Celebrity Aqua Class beds always are). Prefer the Aqua Class tea better on the Solstice class ship but a minor complaint. Canopes were pretty good on this ship -- better than most other Celebrity canopes. The thermostat worked great! There never was an absence of A/C like on some other ships.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins