MSC Meraviglia Cruise Review

Incompetence at every step. Stay away!!!

MSC Meraviglia Cruise Review by GeorgeMt

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Bella Balcony Stateroom

I and my family cruised many times and never had such bad experience as we did on Meraviglia. Only positive is that this ship is new, but very bad design from comfort and efficiency stand point. You can't enjoy your vacation on this ship. It is designed to create issues at every step. Customer was not on their mind when they decided to release this ship. Too many passengers (4500) and not enough accommodation and service logistics. Anyone who rates this ship as good or excellent, has never been on any other ships before or got their travel for free and got paid to travel :-).

Everything about this nightmare cruise started when I logged in to my MSC account to register for check-in and ended at disembarkation.

You can't check-in and get your e-ticket while you are logged in. By the time I figured this out, it was too late to check in online, so I decided to do this at port (Miami).

Last minute we received an email with note that our itinerary has changed and that we will not be stopping at one of their islands , so we will spend additional day at sea. For this inconvenience we will be getting onboard credit of $100. This credit was used to cover daily service charges. I could not cancel this trip. There were signs everywhere :-)

Embarkation took about two hours. Long lines, very disorganized. We could not register our card and add it to our account during check in. They told us to do it on the ship. On the ship you have ability to register your cards two ways, stand few hours in line at reception or use one of their (5-7) self service terminals with no clear instructions or explanations and shorter lines. It is hard to get an accurate information from anyone on that ship. You ask 3 people and you will get 3 different answers. They did not train their staff properly.

Here is interesting fact that no-one communicated, when you using debit card you can only load amount you estimate that you will need, so when you are at the bar on 15th floor ordering food or drinks and waiter tells you that you are low or out of money on your account, they send you down to 5-6 level to recharge it. This trip usually takes about half hour (too many people and elevators are always packed), so by the time you are done recharging and back to 15th floor, you may not want to eat or drink anymore.

I was lucky that I had my credit card on me, so I changed it from debit to credit and after that I was able to have uninterrupted charging ability. Unfortunately several others in our group had to recharge their cards several times daily. Stupid system that makes them loose lots of sales. I hope one day they will realize this.

Getting drinks when you're paying for it, is also long wait time.

Food was average. Private dining does not have enough availability. Always all booked. Here is an example: Hibachi place can only seat max 40 people with three seating per day and this is for ship with 4500 passengers. Gelato place, if it has about 5 people line, that is close to 30 minute wait time.

Casino is small too. I could not get a table. Machines were always packed.

Spa all booked, but they still trying to sign you up for all kinds of useless/expensive stuff.

Only about 5 TV channels in room. Nothing to watch and with interruptions.

Slowest WIFI and I paid for unlimited package. Entertainment was average also. We had an extra day at sea and they ended up canceling one of the shows.

Nothing is optimized to accommodate so many passengers.

Disembarkation was another nightmare. We were exiting ship and got stopped by staff. They would not allow us to leave due to having credit on our account. They owed us $50 and we were told to return to reception and collect our money. Line at the reception was huge. Looked like half of the ship was there. I asked them simple task to just recalculate our charges, apply credit and charge balance to our credit card on file. They still insisted that we needed to go to reception. I did not want to spend several hours on this nightmare ship anymore and our ride was waiting for us at port, so I told them to keep it and send it to MSC CEO with my best regards. They finally agreed to let us leave.

This was my last cruise ever with MSC.

GeorgeMt's Full Rating Summary

Bella Balcony Stateroom

Avarage cabin. Clean. Not enought noize insolation. Could hear all neighbors. Not much to do in cabin, TV not working well and not enought channels.

GeorgeMt