Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review
3,649 Reviews

Avoid this ship if you are looking for good service & quality food

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by HBcrusiing

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Mini-Suite with Balcony

We had 2 adjoining mini-suites. The cabins were really nice however I didn't see the cabin steward the entire cruise. The only way I knew someone had been in our room is they would pick up the dirty towels off the floor after 2 days & replace them, semi made the bed daily & charged me for minibar items that weren't in the cabin when I boarded.

In fact, I had to wait in line 45 minutes on disembarkation day to have the minibar charges removed. Not acceptable!!!

Ship: The bathrooms were dirty all the time. The other public spaces were fine.

Dining: NOT IMPRESSED!!!

• Buffet: Extremely disappointed!!! The food is better at Piccadilly Cafeteria.

• Main Dining Rooms (Manhattan Room, Savor & Taste): After being seated it took a minimum of 30 minutes for someone to take our drink order. As for the food quality...I've had better food at Chili's. Of the 3 main dining rooms...the atmosphere at Manhattan Room was the best with a dance floor, music & entertainment on some days.

• Specialty Restaurants: Cagney's & Ocean Blue had better service & better food. Still not as good as what I've had on previous cruises. I wasn't a fan of La Cucina.

• O'Sheehan's: Food was good, service was awful!

Entertainment: I only rated Entertainment 4 of 5 because of the dueling pianos & the Pour House band.

• Burn the Floor: The music almost put me to sleep. It's unfortunate because I think the dancers could have been great with upbeat music. Kids HATED the show!

• Six: It was okay - again kids HATED the show.

• Howl at the Moon: This place was a lot of fun & the musicians were extremely talented.

• Syd Norman's Pour House: The Pour House Band was AMAZING!!! And the Bartender....Dr L...was the best on the ship!!!

Activities: Beware...if the wind is over 35 knots they close the activities and of course this happened on both "At Sea" days.

• Water Slides: The 2 big ones for older kinds (we had a 12 & 15 year old with us) we closed most of the cruise. We were told the vendor was on board & they would be working with a few days. The Freefall Water Slide was broken the entire cruise. When I asked how long it had been broken the crew wouldn't say. After disembarking I found out it's been closed since Sept 2019. The Whip Water Slide was open the 1st day & then was shut down because they discovered leaks. Neither water slide was fixed & opened before the end of the cruise.

• Minigolf: The course needs maintenance.

• Rock Climbing Wall: When it was open It was fun however there was only 1 person working so only 1 person could climb at a time.

• Ropes Course: It was fun.

• Bingo: EXPENSIVE!!!

Ports & Shore Excursions: We started to book our shore excursions the day we boarded & were told they NEVER sell out so there wasn't a reason to book them at that time. TOTAL LIE!!! We missed out on the excursion we wanted to book in Grand Cayman & Cozumel.

• Private Island: Basically just a beach, snorkeling wasn't worth the cost of the mask...thankfully we had a $50 credit to pay. Long line to board the tender when returning to the ship.

• Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Total chaos at the port when trying to meet up with the shore excursion. There has to be a better way. The River Tubing was good...relaxing & beautiful river.

• Georgetown, Grand Cayman: All shore excursions were sold out so we ended up with the White House beach day. DO NOT BELIEVE THE DESCRIPTION. The place was NOT a luxury resort & the power was out when we arrived. Long line to board the tender when returning to the ship.

• Cozumel, Mexico: We didn't do a shore excursion because the good ones were sold out. We ended up taking a taxi for $18 USD to a place with a restaurant, rocky beach, snorkeling, shopping & massages. For $15 USD per person we got a drink, unlimited snorkeling equipment, 30 minutes of kayaking. Snorkeling was great!! The funny part is the shore excursions came to the same location for snorkeling at a much higher cost.

Service: On a ship of 1,600 crew members I could tell you only 5 crew members which provided good service (Dr L, my waiter in Cagney's, my waiter in Ocean Blue, a bartender in Margaritaville & a bartender at the pool). Otherwise the service was TERRIBLE!

Youth Programs:

*Splash Academy: This activity was for kids ages 3-12. We had an almost 13 year old with us & he didn't want anything to do with this group since there were so many younger kids. NCL should make an exception to allow 12 years into Entourage however there were issues there as well.

• Entourage: The teen club was full every night with a line so most kids could even participate in the activities.

Disembarkation: LONG lines & took over 1.5 hours.

Overall impression: Book Royal Caribbean - it's work the extra cost!!!

HBcrusiing's Full Rating Summary

Family Mini-Suite with Balcony

The cabin was nice however I NEVER saw the cabin steward. The only reason I knew someone went into the cabin was they semi made up the beds, occasionally changed towels (left dirty towels on the floor for 2 days) and added mini bar charges for items that weren't in the minibar when I boarded. In fact, I spent 45 minutes in line to get the mini bar charges removed.

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Embarkation was organized however it took over an hour to check-in.

Great Stirrup Cay