3. Anthem of the Seas
this cruise was very unusual because of the weather. this was our 6th time on Anthem of the seas. In 1995 when we sailed Celebrity Horizon to Bermuda we were caught in a weather system for 48 hours. The waves were crashing over the front of the ship and all outside areas were closed off. We were listing the entire time, and most people were very sick. Having been through an experience like this once, we had no desire to repeat it. We were very thankful for the decisions that were made to keep us safe and comfortable. Captain Henrik did an excellent job of presenting the weather situation and explaining in detail how and why the decisions were being made. He also made himself available to answer questions. We stood by and watched as some people were very rude to him, and he treated them very respectfully in return. What a class act! Of course it wasn't the best itinerary but when you choose to cruise, you know that the weather is a crap shoot, and anything can happen. It can happen on a land vacation too! The ship was in mint condition every where I looked. She is being well cared for. I would cruise this ship just to see We Will Rock You! The cast is excellent and so are the musicians. We were on traditional dining first seating and had excellent service in the grande. Steven and Kadeem were the best. We had an excellent stateroom attendant, Daisy, and she worked extra hard to help us with a problem. the problem- when we entered our cabin for the first time, the perfume smell was overpowering. We immediately opened our balcony door all the way to try to air out the room. When our 'Daisy' was available we talked to her about this. She said it was something the previous passengers did in the room. possible spilled perfume? She offered to bring in some machine (ionizer?) to get rid of the smell. She set that up, along with the door open the first night, and we stayed out of the room. Unfortunately that didn't help. Second day at our request she thoroughly vacuumed under the closet where I could see there was a build up of dust and lint. that also didn't help. We were still keeping our patio doors open, and our room was very cold. We were docked in Bayonne at the time. Third day she brought in her supervisor. He offered us another room. We made the mistake of saying NO. Because #1 we liked Daisy, #2 we had an oversize balcony, and we thought the problem could/would be fixed. The third day the carpeting and furniture were all shampooed. there was a blower on all day to dry carpet. With all the air moving in the room, and now the shampoo smell too, it was hard to tell if the original perfume smell was removed. By this day I developed a nasty sore throat and headache. Will never know if it was a result of perfume smell, having doors open in the cold, or just a plain old cold. Once we were in warmer weather we kept the doors open all the time and it seemed like the perfume was less. Problem was when we headed home, the wind was blowing on our side of the ship, we couldn't keep the doors open anymore. And as soon as we closed up and the air/heat ran, the original perfume smell was back, strong as ever. And now with the sore throat and headache, I was REALLY minding it. Last night we finally did ask to move because I was feeling so bad and the smell was making it worse. Daisy got her supervisor back and he honestly didn't know what else he could do to fix it. He got us the keys to another room. He was very nice and sorry that he couldn't fix the problem for us. We had already put out our bags and just moved with out overnight bags. Just a few cabins down the hall. Can't tell you how it felt to walk into a warm room that did not have any odor! Like HEAVEN. I just spent the last night sitting in bed. To this day I am still having sinus problems unlike any cold I have ever had. It does make me wonder where that smell was coming from and what it was. I wish I knew how it was for the next people in our room. Lesson learned. If this would ever happen again, I would move immediately if possible...

Anthem of the Seas weather challenge

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by lkneller

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View with Large Balcony

I wish I knew how it was for the next people in our room.

lkneller’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Ocean View with Large Balcony
Cabin 4C
Cabin had strong perfume smell.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins