3. Norwegian Escape
I go to sea every week at Thanksgiving as I need to be in Florida the week before and it seems a shame not to go to sea when I'm so close. I decided to try Norwegian as I hadn't been on one before and liked the promotions that they were doing and thought I'd give it a try. Thanksgiving week trip is always with the family DD,SIL,GS(7). Last couple years we have done mostly Carnival with some Royal thrown in. Getting on and into my cabin went smoothly but I got there around 130 so the initial rush might have been through already. Nice to be able to drop of bag in the room before going to the buffet to eat. I found the Buffet very weirdly laid out. but as usual did find enough to eat. Got the GS registered in splash academy and found out that there were about a thousand kids on board. They had room for about 150 in club at a time. Worried about that a bit as GS loves the kids program and we love that he loves it. Must was a meet at various locations in the ship, which I'm ok with but have always loved knowing which lifeboat was mine and playing the "who are we keeping and who's going to have to be throw overboard game with the family while we wait" We did go out on Deck 7 where we could see the lifeboats, The first and continuing thought about this deck was what a waste of space this was, Never any seating was mostly used as a quick pathway across the floor. Would have been a nice quiet area that I found the ship really in short supply of. Dinner was in the main dinning room, No problem with food, the usual slower service that all the lines seem to be presenting now a days. We were up near what turned out to be a band stage. Once the music started was impossible to talk with each other. Kids club turned out to be something that we learned to work with, getting in line about 30 minutes before let in time when we really wanted a space. Boy had a great time whenever he did go. But we noticed that a couple times people almost cheered when you picked up your kid as that meant a space had opened up and their kid could get in. I would have thought that the ship knowing that 1000 kids were on board because of the holiday week would have had additional options for kids. In general I found the room to be adequate , and ship areas keep nice. I decided on Norwegian because of the pick 3 options, Took the wifi, dinners and port. Drink package was a joke as you had to still pay gratuities what would have added up to more then I would ever have thought to drink. We took advantage of port credit twice in the 4 ports we went to. Got a clam shell on the beach one day and got a maya beach massage for what would be like half off with the credit. Finding $50 items was hard as it was per cabin not person. Wi fi option gave me a good credit to upgrade to the next level so for $80 more I got basic web for the week. For the dinners I choose, Teppanyaki, Moderno, and Cagney's. While it was great to try some of the specialty restaurant's I was glad that I wasn't paying the charges for them. I was especially disappointed in Cagney's as I know a good steak when I taste it and these both the rib eye and prime were not the best quality of meat in those categories and for $30 per item would have expected them to be wonderful. Size of the meat portion was larger then it needed to be. I would gladly have excepted a smaller size and a better piece of meat. The only redeeming aspect to this meal was that I was finally able to get something close to a piece of chocolate cake which would have been $10 if gotten by itself. We ended up eating mostly in the buffet as it worked better with the GS and didn't want to deal with the sit downs. While we eventually figured out the buffet it was just accepted to walk the entire thing to find everything. As I live for chocolate, it was generally never a real item for desert other then as ice cream. Just getting a plain cookie turned out to be by secret request, You had to ask the ice cream ladies if there were any, they were never put out. It seemed that there was a specialty themed menu each night there but when we tried several it seemed to be rather limited in choices in that theme. I don't know if I am just getting old ( never admitted that to myself before) or just used to Holland, and princess that I sail more often by myself. but I don't think that Norwegian is a good fit for me. I found this ship to be too noisy at meal times, The shows hard to get into and activities either very limited or not inviting to my interests. I generally travel solo but I never really got the openings to talk with strangers that I have found on the other ships I travel. The only space I loved was the waterfront. It was a calm zone in a sea of crazy. Ports for the most part just average for the Caribbean, but thought 2 of the 4 needing tendering to be a bit much. In all the trips to Cozumel (I think about 6) I have never tendered there. While the tendering went smoother then Honduras It went more downtown so was not near anything I was used to that I look forward to doing. Honduras was a joke. Generally go to the docks on the other side of the island this time Tendered in to the far side of the island. Great if you were going off on an excursion that was picking you up but not for hanging out off ship in the area. Tendering that day was a nightmare as they were doing construction so the process was very limited in how they could accept ships. After 2 hours of waiting from by tender time I gave up, DD/SIL went in but did a quick circle and made it back on the same tender the went in they were so disappointed. Tender driver must have be new as he had a hard time docking. Overall we had a good time because we were together and made it work but all agreed that Norwegian was our least favorite line and put on the bottom of the list in next years search for our Thanksgiving week.

Thanksgiving week cruise

Ages 7 to 9
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Mid-ship Inside Stateroom
Cabin IA
wanted a connecting door, and got it. With door opened between rooms made a pinch point in that area. The room nothing special. Doors to walkway unusually small and there was a pole in front of our two doors that made it even harder to get in.
Deck 15 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Mayan Temazcal Ceremony
    Saw the hammock massagers on another trip and looked interesting. So being able to do it at half price ( with $50 port Credit) decided to give it a try. Turned out that it wasn't anything special and the part that looked the most interesting the tub soak and hammock massage didn't last long enough to ever make me want to do it again or to recommend it to anyone.
    View All 8 Mayan Temazcal Ceremony Reviews
  • Cozumel
    Have never had to tender into this port before. While tendering process was acceptable the location more downtown was not the best. There were at least two ships docked plus us tendering into one dock. Totally crowed and crazy. Opens to a court yard of all the companies trying to collect their people of gather new ones to then have only a bunch of stores and restaurant's as the choices to do unless you took a taxi somewhere else. Di a quick trip to the drug store and got a candy bar and back I went to spend maybe some quiet time on the ship.
    View All 6,797 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Harvest Caye
    Was an OK beach location. but didn't care for the fact that while it was only there for the ship it was not a ship facility and so if you wanted to eat you either had to go back to the ship or pay to eat.
    View All 1,231 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Roatan
    Wasn't to the usual places we dock at. Tendering into a area under construction on the other side of the side of the island, was tedious at best. There was another ship in port that added to the problems. not much here. Was surprised that this was even the spot they had ships stop at as I have always gone to the other side on stops.
    View All 2,888 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews