Insignia Cruise Review

So disappointing!! Never again!!!

Insignia Cruise Review by eric33

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom

First off we are loyal Holland America customers. On average spend about four months a year on Holland. But the food quality has been slipping so bad we thought let's try another cruise line. Oceania claims to be the best food at sea. So it seemed like an obvious choice!

First off is the ship itself. Honestly, they have done an amazing job refurbishing the ship and it is truly gorgeous. The interior design is a real wow! Everything they use from the dishes to silverware to glassware is of high quality. The cruise line didn't seem to cut any corners when it came to the actual ship and hard finishes. The ship is small but has everything one needs.

The staff does not match the quality of the ship. Overall I felt the staff was cold and distant. Nobody seemed to have a clue about what they were doing. Service in the dining room was scattered and always in a panic. No coffee refills, the time between courses was completely inconsistent and cold food!! It was like nobody there had ever worked in fine dining before. Throughout the ship, I wouldn't say I ever felt welcome or attended to. Ignored most of the time on purpose. Poolside nobody ever helped you, offered a drink or even bothered to acknowledge your existence. Our room attendant never knew our name and barely ever even greeted us. When she did, it was obviously painful. Over the course of one week, I was never once acknowledged by name by anyone. On Holland your room attendants always greet you by name, the dining room manager always knows your name and cabin number.

The cabin was literally a closet!! It was so small you could not move! Literally to sit on the toilet you had to leave the bathroom door open as the toilet is angled towards the door. The shower is so small no reasonable size person could fit in it. The bed linens were nothing special. our mattress was lumpy and feather pillows couldn't have been more flat.

Now the food they rave about so much. Trust me there is nothing to rave about. It's all mediocre at best. The food is cold, there are no vegetables anywhere, and the portions are tiny. The dining room serves the same stuff every night as does the buffet. The worst meals were the specialty restaurants. Polo grill was beyond disgusting. A tableside ceasar salad with dressing from a jar? What's the poiint!!! Escargot with no shells? Clam chower was like water. I could go on for days on how bad the food was. I have no idea what person thinks they have award-winning food!

The fellow passengers on this cruise were not at all what I expected. Looked like a trailer park took a cruise. Most had never even been on a cruise and dressed like a bunch of slobs. Nobody followed any dress code rules and the staff totally overlooked it. It was embarrassing and irritating for those of us who did follow dress code.

Overall Don't make the mistake of going on Oceania!! It's a complete ripoff and you will be sorry. Low-end cruising with high-end pricing. Complete joke. Never again! We will go back to Holland America any day over Oceania.

eric33's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom

The concierge level is a complete joke. Aside from a rear balcony not sure what else we got. The alleged private spa pool everyone just walks in and uses. Not private or VIP. There was no concierge lounge.

The room was honestly one of the smallest we have ever stayed in. The shower is so narrow and tiny I took most of my showers in the mens locker room as you cannot literally move in the cabin shower. The room has no flowers or fresh fruit. Again concierge is a complete waste of money!!

Harvest Caye

Huge Norwegian ship was docked so the island was completely overrun. There was nowhere to sit!!

eric33