Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by jmrivera

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Inside

I chose to schedule this—my first—cruise trip, to spend some time with good friends and visit places I've never seen. I was especially interested in visiting Santorini, Greece and Montenegro. Nevertheless, I was disappointed when, after starting the trip, was informed that both destinations were cancelled. Furthermore, the reasons were generic/non-specific and only given thru a letter left at my stateroom. For the "inconvenience," my stateroom (3 of us) was refunded $100 (to be divided by 3). Everyone also received a $22 refund for port taxes. In addition, we were offered a 20% discount on new trip reservations good for two years. I think the refunds were insufficient, and many passengers were disappointed with the port cancelations, and the reduction to time spent at the remaining ports, which were also changed/limited. Overall, the employees provided good service, and the ship was clean and fairly up-to-date. The food was tasty, but often at less than desired temperature (cold). There were at least two nights of terrible ship rocking, as I believe it battled stormy weather. I did enjoy spending time with my friends, but wish the experience was as we had planned it: Better! I don’t believe my next trip will be on Norwegian.

jmrivera's Full Rating Summary

Inside

The stateroom Stewart was great! We had 3 beds, and the top bed was a bit tuff: A bit uncomfortable. Space was tight but fair.

Dubrovnik

Spent half a day viewing the city, but it was raining. Bus ride provided by cruise was $15.

Corfu

Too little to see. Public bus ride was cheap: $2. Had a nice lunch at local restaurant, but this day was also raining. Was back to the ship before 2pm.

Athens (Piraeus)

Get on-Get off tour: $49. Busses had a gift on every sit: Water bottle, juice, sope, other. Acropolis was amazing: Lots to see!

Mykonos

Beatiful place! Only takes half a day to see it. Bus ride provided by cruise line.

Naples

Paid a taxi for tour of prominent sites, to include Pompei. A group of eight, paid $40 per person. Driver delivered as promissed: 30-45 minutes at each stop; 2 hours at Pompei; visited 7 sites and had lunch at famous pizzeria Michele. Took all time availible that day.

Rome on Your Own

Too much to see, too little time left after one and a half hour bus ride (each way). Paid $125 for tour. Waited one hour to get into St. Peter's Basilica, and spent another 30 min. walking thru Vatican museum to see the Sistine Chapel. Had to pay $7 per person for Metro (All day ticket) to go see the Coliseum. Not enough time left for much else.

View All 171 Rome on Your Own Reviews
Marseille

$15 Bus ride to city center provided by NCL. Paid additional $10 for taxi to visit Basilique Notre-Dame. Because of rain, decided to visit indoor mall. Later visited the town market. Too little time to do much. Back to ship by 3pm.

Florence (Livorno)

Visited the city on my own: $5 bus ride to city center provided by NCL. Lots to see, and good shopping/market. Some sites are far from each other, and it takes long to walk all. Interesting forts & churches.

jmrivera