Marella Dream Cruise Review

Mixed bag

Marella Dream Cruise Review by cruisestu

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean

Chose this cruise based on other reviews but very much a mixed bag

Cabin was spacious and clean but a little tired and air con not very effective

Ship showing its age but kept clean and maintained even during sailing

Entertainment is always a personal thing but the positive response from the audience is always a good sign

Service was not the best which was a surprise to us, we found waiting times in the main restaurant too long, at one point we gave up waiting for the dessert and left in frustration.

Dining was our biggest concern, the quality of food was poor in the MDR and buffets. I need to be gluten free and was not happy with knowledge of the chef when I questioned him about the menu.

We encountered undercooked potatoes, carrots, burnt chips and dirty crockery/cutlery all too often. During the second week of the cruise I took ill and suspect I was served a meal with gluten.

I don’t normally recommend the drinks upgrade on a cruise but the regular coffee and tea, not to mention the awful wine on tap in the buffets make it a must. The coffee in the coffee shop was excellent but you have to pay each time if you don’t buy the upgrade. Similarly I recommend the 3 speciality restaurants as they provide the quality of food I thought we would get as standard, it’s £49 to visit all 3 of them though.

Excursions were not the best as much of the time was spent travelling on a bus and the guides missed out a lot of sights. A number of people complained the guides were walking too fast for them to keep up.

cruisestu's Full Rating Summary

Spacious and clean but tired and air con not the best. Excellent service from Gusti kept everything clean. Also nice to have a bath as well as a shower

cruisestu