3. Carnival Horizon
The Good - i enjoyed the ship as a whole but there was definitely room for major improvement. The layout while nice could have been better thought out as far as color scheme is concerned. I stayed in a Havana Cabin and the shower curtain is hideous. That aside, there were ample amounts of activities scheduled throughout the day so theres never a dull moment. The ship director Mike was great and very friendly, I really did enjoy his energy. Service for the most part was great everywhere we went, especially from out room steward Calvert (9th floor), he was amazing. Contrary to popular belief, i actually enjoyed the elevator system. I felt it eliminated overcrowding and people gunning it to any open elevator making the wait worse than what it would hve been had it not been for assigned elevators. My husband and I seldom encountered any issues waiting. Entertainment - The shows were decent at best. The cast worked very hard and executed the shows nicely however there was just something missing. Some songs are not one size fit all and they definitely didnt arrange all songs accordingly amongst the singers. It was okay. But some days i found myself trying hard to make it to the end of some of the shows. The other scheduled activities outside of that, such of love and marriage, carnival quest, trivia , and comedy shows just to name a few were very entertaining and well put together . Food - the food I would say is the most disappointing on the ship. There was a limited variety of options at the lido deck and it was just not good imo. The pizza location made me sick afterward so i would suggest they make the chef use gloves at the pizza spot. Meridian wasnt any better. The options and taste were lackluster. On one occasion my waitress was rude and another girl sneezed and coughed continuously and didnt wash her hands!!!! We asked to be moved and were simply moved to a table 2 feet away. Annoyed is an understatement. We decided to just spend money on the specialty locations throughout the week. Teppanyaki was delicious, pigs and anchor was decent but nothing to write home about. And guys burger which was a free option was tasty. Excursions - we chose to do excursions through Carnival and they were all nice Grand Turk- Stingray and snorkel. This was one of the best ports. Ocean was clear and the tour guides were awesome, definitely enjoyed it here La Romana, DR- monkeyland. We had a great time here. The monkeys are well taken care of and we had ample time with them. Tour guides were great Curacao- Beach hop and swim with turtles. This was one of my least favorites, the water was murky and they threw fish remains in the water to attract turtles. Swimming through fish carcas was disgusting to say the least. Aruba- Natural pool and 4x4 Jeep safari. Fun and very bumpy , the natural pool while nice was too crowded and felt like i was swimming in pee with how overly warm it was and the overcrowding. I was a bit repulsed by that too and spent limited time in the water. (Just bein honest) Cabin - we had an aft Havana balcony. Very nice view. But for whatever reason there was a constant smell of cigarette smoke int he hallway. Someone must have been smoking in there room and it was annoying. Carnival should have installed soft close balcony and front doors because the slamming all day and night was crazy. Idk how they did it for the toilets but not those heavy doors lol. My room steward Calvert like I previously mentioned was amazing and very accommodating . The beds were uncomfortable unfortunately All in all it was a decent ship. Despite there being 5000 onboard including staff i never felt overly packed in except for coming back on board from each port.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

Carnival Horizon Cruise Review by Candi187

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Havana Aft-View Extended Balcony
The Good

Food

Excursions

- we chose to do excursions through Carnival and they were all nice

Candi187’s Full Rating Summary