3. Oosterdam
I have cruised many times, with Celebrity as well as some other cruise lines. I had heard some good reports about Holland America, and liked the itinerary of this cruise, so I decided to give it a try. First morning we went up to the gym, and I couldn't believe how small it was. Half of the 10 treadmills were broken, with signs on them saying not to use them. With the remaining ones that were functioning, most of the screens didn't work, or the phone jacks were broken, or the elevation didn't work. They only had a few Elliptical machines, and stationary bikes. There were several spin bikes, that were tied up, and kept only for the $15.00 classes. There were 2 trainers in the gym, who were very unfriendly, and completely unconcerned that the equipment was not working. The entertainment on the ship was non-existent, I am used to having destination speakers on board, as well as a production company, doing amazing Broadway shows. None of these were on-board. There was a very average comedian, and a Karen Carpenter imitator. The America Test Kitchen was closed on the first half of the voyage. They opened it on the 2nd leg, and it was standing room only, because everyone was so starved for entertainment. Trivia was the highlight of the cruise, and got bigger everyday. The junior cruise directors who ran it were excellent. The cruise director was the worst I have ever encountered. She gave an 11 minute talk on the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, she told us that she had been there on a holiday, and showed us a video from her phone. The video kept freezing, nothing about the history of the tattoo etc. She could have done a search on her computer, and put up a good video, and made at least a 30 minute presentation out of it. It was possibly the most amateur talk I have ever heard. She was definitely not a presence on the ship. The Remembrance Day ceremony left a lot to be desired. It was very short, and did not pay much of a tribute to the vast number of Veterans that were on board. The food and service in the dining room was very good, the steak and lobster at the finale dinner was very disappointing, with rubber lobster, but I was impressed with the waiters, who were very attentive, and willing to get you anything you wanted. The Lido market was also very crowded with wheelchairs and walkers, and very slow moving elderly patrons. I had heard that the passengers on the Holland America line were older than most cruise lines, but I was not prepared for the number of wheelchairs and walkers and extremely elderly passengers that were on board. The tenders in Lahina, and Kailua-Kona, were very scary. They need to screen some of the very elderly and immobile passengers, who should not be getting on Tenders. It's very disturbing to see people getting injured, and breaking bones, they should be screened and not allowed on the tenders. Having cruised many times with Celebrity, I could not help comparing the extreme lack of activities and lectures on Holland America.

Disappointed with Holland America

Ewilkins1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB
Very nice cabin on the 10th floor, quiet with a great view.
Observation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins