3. MSC Seaside
I am a Canadian senior, and though I am an experienced traveler and have spent a lot of leisure time in foreign countries, mainly one place in Mexico, I had never taken a cruise. Price was a consideration, and my cousin (a travel agent) got me what I feel was a relatively good deal on a week-long cruise to the western Caribbean, especially since I was travelling alone. The ship was relatively new, and very large, like a 17-storey-floating hotel. Right from the start (the transfer from the plane to the boat), I felt like an oddity in that I seemed to be the only person travelling alone. It was emphasized when basically no one showed up for any of the daily "Single and Solo Traveler Get-togethers" announced in the daily activities calendar. I did have four other passengers at my assigned dinner table, which meant I at least had people to have supper with. But all my other meals were eaten alone. I spent a lot of time wandering around observing life on a cruise ship, and found it quite interesting. I conversed with a lot of staff, and they were by and large quite friendly, though of course they had limited time to talk. I found a lounge (the Seaview Lounge) which had my hometown newspaper to read (every day!), and also a good jazz group in the evening, so I spent a lot of time there. I got to know the staff, and the band members, and that proved to be one of the best parts of my trip. Besides the one band I liked, I found the rest of the entertainment on board to be less interesting than I expected. The nightly stage shows had fabulous costumes, and a lot of energy, but there was a sameness to the shows, and the quality of the talent and production was at times disappointing. And other music on the ship was often either recorded, or live persons accompanied by recorded music (I guess to save money on a full band). The Adult Improv group was funny, but I think a bit more vulgar than they had to be. One of the highlights of the week was "70s night". Lots of people were in costume (quite entertaining) and the entertainment staff did an excellent job getting the packed Atrium dancing and singing along... till all hours of the night. See the photo - dancer featured is a member of the staff. I am not a dining connoisseur, and was very happy with the food in the dining room and at the buffets. There were some scrumptious dishes, but I could see how some people might find some of the fare to be sort of ordinary. My cabin was very well appointed, and kept immaculate. I had brought a nite-lite for the bathroom (so I didn't have to turn on the main light in the middle of the night), and that worked well. The bed was quite comfortable (firm). The only things that could have been better: the shower could have been a touch bigger, and have better soap/shampoo (I brought my own so it didn't factor in), and the closet sliding door didn't fully open, so it was awkward to get clothes in and out of. I had read a lot of critical reviews of the ship before my cruise, but found that either the ship had corrected the problems (e.g. slow disembarkation), or were from people who were overly unreceptive to the diversity and different style of the ship. I found the MSC Seaside a fascinating world, and I would have had a much better time if I had other friends on board, and if the weather had been nicer.. I was sad to leave.

I did not regret going