3. Norwegian Getaway
So this was my first Norwegian cruise so that maybe I had high hopes but nothing really lived up to the hype and honestly there were plenty of moments where I was either really disappointed or just frustrated at Norwegian for making me stress over things that I shouldnt have to worry about on my vacation: -Embarkation day can be full of lines on the best of days but this embarkation was a DISASTER. I'd heard rumors that the computers were down that morning and then someone said that New Orleans just wasn't equipped to handle such a large ship but whatever it was, it took us several hours of waiting in our Uber and then waiting in a line hundreds of people deep to wait in line again and then slowly creep onto the boat. We left our hotel at 11:00 AM for a 10 minute drive to the port and we got on the ship JUST in time for the muster drill at 4:00 PM. No one ever explained to us the problem or apologized about the mess or anything. -Freestyle cruising is a MYTH. Its great that you don't have to choose a time to eat dinner in the main dining room but if you want to do ANYTHING...you must make a reservation in advance and good luck doing that once you're onboard. Apparently people start making reservations for shows and specialty restaurants months in advance. I get that they want to accommodate people on a first come first served basis but don't advertise that it's all on my time and all of these things are available without telling me I needed to plan my vacation to the minute months in advance. So much for freestyle. -It's true that Norwegian will nickel and dime you to DEATH. I paid upfront for everything and included the drinks package and the specialty dinner package and also the gratuities. I didn't want to have to worry about anything onboard or a big surprise bill at the end. Yeah even with a specialty dinning package you are charged for ordering anything over 1 appetizer and one main course BUT i was also charged for extra steak sauce and my mom was charge for additional salad dressing. I was so pissed I didn't even bother. Seriously...in addition to paying for the specialty package AND the cruise they added a charge for the salad dressing. -Also we tried to visit the ICE bar one evening on board. It's a $19.00 cover in addition to the drinks. Did I mention they nickel and dime you to death?? Well even when I tried to give them money they didn't want it. the bar was closing in 45 minutes but we were told to come back another day. My impression was that it was a slow night and the staff was already closing down. we were disappointed and didn't try again. The pros: -The ropes course and water slides were amazing! The kids didn't want to go to the club like on most ships because they loved the slides and ropes course on deck. -The shows were amazing! Especially the Cirque show. Food was a amazing and so was the show. Again it's a surcharge but worth it. Get floor seating...Book early and show up early! Ugh...again freestyle isn't all that freestyle. -Our balcony cabin was plenty large and the balcony was perfect. -Most of the staff onboard were gracious and nice but it just felt like the ship was too large for the amount of staff. We felt so much better taken care of on other ships. the staff was just so busy they didn't have time to check in and see if we needed anything at dinner or in the bars.

Not a great start for my first Norwegian cruise

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Greenlntrn

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Caribbean

The pros:

-Our balcony cabin was plenty large and the balcony was perfect.

Greenlntrn’s Full Rating Summary