Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by CJSANDFS

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View 5

An easy way to see quite a lot of Japan. We had 3 nights in Tokyo prior to the cruise at the Royal park Canvas in Ginza. Lovely new hotel within walking distance of the fish markets and lots of restaurants.

Embarkation and disembarkation at Yokohama was probably the most efficient I have ever experienced. Unfortunately the immigration procedures on board re entering Japan at Hakodate after South Korea really let the side down. Japanese officials were very slow despite the cruise director's attempts to instill a sense of urgency.

Cabin was lovely except for the noise. [ see review ]

Dining room food and service was excellent. Very considerate of my elderly friend, making sure we were close to the entrance and even giving her slightly larger portions when she decided just to have starters and not a main meal. The Oceanview cafe never felt crowded and I love the stools and bench table arrangement along the windows. Great if you are eating by yourself and do not need a whole table.

I never go to the production shows having discovered along time ago that they are not my thing. However I loved the Taiko drum performance and the aerialist duo were fantastic. The classical pianist one afternoon was a real treat and his concert was very well attended. I would love it if Celebrity provided more entertainment of this standard.

Apart from an excursion to the bamboo forest outside Kyoto and a trip to Nara, we did our own thins with a combination of shuttle buses and taxis.

CJSANDFS's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View 5

Cabins have been beautifully refurbished. Lovely calm decor, great bathrooms etc etc. I did not appreciate the bathroom night light but my cabin steward was able to turn it off. The blackout curtains could have been much better. I like a really dark bedroom.

Unfortunately this cabin was very noisy, just general ship noise, engines, generators and who knows what. Enough to be very disturbing at night. I have been on Deck 3 on Constellation a few years ago and do not remember noise being a problem but I would not book anything in this area again.

Nara

Yoko was a remarkably good guide, very interesting. The tour description was accurate, lots and lots of steps. Loved the deer.

Lunch at the Westin Miyako was very, very ordinary.

Hiroshima

We took a taxi to the Peace Park, very easy to do, wandered around by ourselves and then visited the museum. Very harrowing and I was amazed at the number of primary school children visiting. One little boy, egged on by his giggling friends, gave us each an origami animal.

I would not have liked to do an organised excursion here. I think you need to be able to take your own time.

Kagoshima

We took a taxi into town and got the hop on hop off bus.

An extra special bonus was when the volcano decide to belch large puffs of smoke and ash.

Not a good place to be if you have respiratory problems and I would imagine keeping your car clean would be a real hassle.

Hakodate

Real freezing arctic wind conditions. Immigration took forever and then I got the shuttle bus into town. It dropped us very close to the station and the incredible "Morning markets". I have never seen such enormous crabs. Just as well Celebrity had a warning about not bringing seafood back on to Millennium. I was sorely tempted.

Aomori

The weather was the problem. We got a real snowstorm and as I live in Australia I really don't have the clothes for these conditions. The crew built a snowman out by the pool.

Full marks to the Captain for persevering and getting us into port and to Celebrity for refunding excursions for those of us who couldn't cope with a blizzard. That said, those who did venture on shore got wonderful photos of Autumn leaves and snow.

Busan, South Korea

Shuttle bus into town dropped us off right near the markets. Fascinating food stalls and lots of doggie outfits.

I had an excellent manicure. [ I avoid the spa on ship as I think the prices and add on gratuities are a rip off and I have yet to get a decent manicure on a ship.]

CJSANDFS