Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review

Will NEVER cruise with Royal Caribbean again

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Kimberleigh

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas

The only thing I can say good about our cruise is that my teenage boys room steward, Rouston Rodrigues was Amazing. He not only cleaned my teenage boys room, made them animal towels, but interacted with them and my husband and myself throughout every day of our cruise. My husband and I saw our steward, Wilfred (I believe that was his name) only once when we boarded.

In the Great Gatsby dining room, Shereen, our waiter and Noemi her assistant waiter always greeted us with a smile and was always courteous and generous with their time. We tipped all three of these employees very generously. We also appreciated that a RC employee was there tomake everyone hand sanitize before entering the Windjammer buffet. Sadly, many cruisers refused the hand sanitizer.

Now, for the down side of our family trip. They was very little activitys to do, (for our teenage boys, my husband and myself) activity wise, unless my teenagers wanted to learn to dance the tango, attend wine tasting classes (they are only 14 and 15 yrs old) or play bingo. The rock climbing wall stayed closed throughout the entire cruise, They were told that they were “too young” (they are 14 and 15 yrs old) to workout in the gym and the shuffle board on top of the ship was always, “saved” for other adult cruisers.Both my boys were thrown out of the Solarium 3 times by different RC employees (they were just walking through the solarium to go to the Park Cafe for a snack, as unlike on other cruise lines, RC Grandeur of the Seas does NOT have a variety of food stations/restaurants open 24 hours a day). The food on the entire ship was subpar to mediocre at best. On more occasions than frankly I care to admit, in the Windjammer cafe, I witnessed passengers eating off their plates while still in line, contaminating the food in the buffet trays with their germs and actually verbally fighting and pushing people out of the way to get to the food. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. Finding seating was nearly impossible in the Windjammer Cafe and my family of 4 (when we didn’t eat in the Gatsby dining room) usually had to eat out in the pool area. Speaking of the pool area, the pool was mysteriously closed twice during our cruise and only the hot tubs were available for use. Every cruiser I spoke to was annoyed and going “crazy” watching the big TV screen play the same dog/cat/little boy UTube video over and over and over and over at nauseaum. The same video played over and over for 8 days straight!!

The only thing that my teenagers did enjoy was the Karaoke each nite, but unfortunately it was from 10pm to 11:30pm and run by a different RC employee each nite. On 2 occasions, other cruisers rudely told my teenage boys to leave the Pacific showroom where the Karaoke took place. Fortunately, I was there and my teenage sons were allowed to stay and participate.

In the casino every day/nite was an extremely intoxicated male cruiser being extremely disrespectful to RC women employees and guests. Making sexual innuendos and being extremely rude, loud and insulting. Not one RC employee said anything to him, “because the cruiser is always right”. After witnessing this behavior for 2 nights, my husband finally said something to him. He became louder and even more aggressive and belligerent. He even told my husband to “step outside so he could teach him a lesson as he was going to whip his ass”. The male passenger was 60-70 yrs of age and my husband is 50 and a Lt. with the Baltimore City fire department. The pit boss finally stepped in and the man was asked to leave. Everyone, RC employees and cruiser alike thanked my husband profusely because they (the employees felt they couldn’t really do or say anything, because they are taught to bend over backwards for the guests) and the other cruisers were shocked and intimidated by this man and were apparently afraid to intervene. Sadly, the very next day and night the same drunk, sexually inappropriate, loud mouthed bully was at it again and allowed to continue that behavior for the rest of the cruise. Many cruisers said they stopped gambling all together or just all together refused to be at the same table with that loud mouth, sexual predator. I have cruised other lines, the last being 4 months ago on Carnival Pride. It’s a smaller ship, but the food was impeccable, the service amazing and there was always an activity and something fun to do, whether you were young, old or somewhere in between. The Pride also has a pizza place (Pizza Pirate) that is open 24 hours a day, along with Guy Ferri burgers and fries and the Blue iguana (Mexican food) along with their massive buffet. On other cruise line, you can get coffee, hot choclate, tea, lemonade and even ice, 24 hours a day or nite without having to call room service. Sadly, RC doesn’t offer these amenities. As for “A perfect day at CoCo Cay”, we were very disappointed. We did have beautiful weather and we were the only ship in port so it was not crowded. My husband did the Pig Island excursion, swam with the pigs and loved it. My teenage boys and I stayed behind on CoCo Cay island. I do NOT understand why RC (who owns COCO Cay island) feels the need to charge their cruisers to pay an extra fee for the “thrill island” side. RC OWNS the island, and as cruisers, we have already paid for the cruise. We didn’t pay extra to go to Naussa, Port Canaveral or Charleston. This is RC just trying to fleece more money off of their cruisers. When my family and I cruised Carnival Pride 4 months ago, we went to Half Moon Cay. (The island that Carnival owns). As cruisers, we were NOT charged for anything on the island that Carnival owns. Food was served at no extra charge, they had a band playing on the beach, and many of their Carnival employees were there interacting with the guests, playing sand and water games and truly getting to know each and every one of us. Even more disappointing and reprehensible is the fact that because we were the only ship at COCO Cay, they kept discounting the “thrill side” of the island from the original excursion price to a mere $10 by 2pm (the ship departed at 6pm) because NO ONE was on the “thrill side” of the island. The cabanas go for up to $300 on the beach. Because we were the only ship in port, people used the cabanas for FREE, while others got stuck having already paid for the $300 cabanas up front. It seems to me, and many of the RC cruisers my husband and I spoke to throughout our 8 day cruise, that RC is just out to make a quick buck and do the bear minimum. On other cruise lines, the mustered drill is 20-30 minutes long at a minimum. Our drill was 5 minutes long (if that) and it was to just electronically buzz everyone’s sail and sign card. They never even showed us how to put on a life jacket! My husband and I were in one room, with our teen age boys next door, yet we were assigned different mustered stations!! The Centrum is absolutely tooooo small as people saved seats and the same people were down there each and every night to listen to the band. Most the cruisers had to watch standing up, leaning on the railings or pull up chairs on the upper railings (all the way to floor 8), to watch and listen from afar. The comedy was awful (we had three comedians on our 8 day cruise). The ship board “broadway show” had to be cancelled because of an illness of one of the RC employees. The show went on the following nite, but it was definitely subpar and many people walked out by the middle of the show. All and all, I have sailed on many cruise lines, and RC is by far the worst. I even had an employee tell me that they really didn’t care about anymore of the Grandeur of the Seas sailings, as a “rich sheik had just purchased the ship for himself and his 158 wives and children and the ship was being sold and retired at the end of the 2019”. That was a very disappointing and upsetting comment to hear. My husband and I were also told that RC was a “step up” in clientele, sophistication, and class. On every other cruise line we have sailed on, formal night meant just that.... dressing up. Apparently NOT on the Grandeur of the Seas. Cruisers were in the main dining room (the Great Gatsby) in SHORTS on both formal nites!!! On any other cruise line, that would not have been allowed and they would have been asked to change. I could continue on, but I think I have made my point regarding our below par family trip on RC. It’s sad when my teenage boys stated once we returned home that they would have rather NOT missed school and 8 days of homework than to have gone on this specific cruise. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions regarding our subpar vacation.

Kimberleigh's Full Rating Summary

*******See above

The best part of the entire cruise.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Going through customs took a very long time and there wasn’t much time to go out and do an excursion without having to rush through it......

Carriage Tour

Although our driver was probably just above the legal limit for driving a horse and carriage while intoxicated, my family actually enjoyed this tour of the city, as we were STARVED for (not only decent food) but entertainment, since we were receiving NONE of these things on the RC ship.

View All 11 Carriage Tour Reviews
Nassau

We took a taxi to Junkoo beach. Had a good meal, since we were receiving very ethnic and subpar meals thus far on board RC Grandeur of the Seas. We were then accosted at the straw market. One man grab my wrist and tried to drag me in an effort to get me into his booth to buy something. My husband was approached to purchase cigars from a bunch of guys hanging at the straw market on the corner. When my husband said, “thanks, but I don’t smoke cigars”, the men then asked him if he smoked, “anything else” and told him they could get him any drug he wanted. Needless to say, my husband said NO.

The best and only good part of our family vacation on RC Grandeur of the Seas

View All undefined undefined Reviews