Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by kbear100

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

Cons

Significant itinerary change was the largest issue and made 2 days prior, 2 At Sea days were added for a total of 3 days. Santorini and Kotor were cancelled due to ships mechanical issues (they told us they lost an engine.) They shaved off 1-2 hours per port as well. We received $100 credit and 20% off future cruise. Incredibly disappointing.

Lines for everything.

Leaving out of Croatia and throughout the night into Greece, the sea was extremely rough and there was no warning. It was loud, the ship was extremely unstable and rocking like I’ve never felt before. Drawers in my cabin kept opening and closing until I stuffed them with stuff and they were too heavy to move. People seemed on edge throughout the evening/night. It certainly made me question the safety of being in a storm of that size with mechanical issues. I received not even 1 hour of sleep that night.

Last At Sea day we also had a decent amount of rocking.

During dining at specialty restaurant Moderno Churrascaria, we come to find out there actually is no Churrasco. We got 2 free cappuccinos for our trouble. It’s like going to Taco Bell, and they have no tacos.

I was surprised at the amount of crew members that were rude. Certainly a stark difference than Royal Caribbean. This is was not prepared for.

You literally pay for EVERYTHING and its ALL overpriced. It's a constant money grab on that ship.

Food is alright. Dining room the service was extremely slow. We went for breakfast one morning and it took 2 hours, we never went back.

When I got my photo taken for my Room Key at the terminal, the photo she took came out completely black, so immediately after boarding I was told to go to guest services, which it looks like the entire ship was also told to do so. The line was snaked all the way around the bar on deck 7.

Pros

(Not Norwegian) Booked Kings Landing tour in Dubrovnik locally with the most WONDERFUL tour guide for 50 Euro total to include a trip to the top of the mountain, and over the bridge to get some good photos of the ships. Norwegian was charging about $150 just for Game of Thrones tour.

We did however meet some incredible people on the ship, MASSIVE shoutout to Marcelo Di Fuente the bartender from Brazil. He made the entire trip!

Also shoutout to the hype crew! Shirley, Enti, Sara, Stefy, and Fabi.

kbear100's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Inside

My cabin steward was just okay, he didnt seem thrilled with being there and I could sense it. I was told by the NCL rep I booked with that I'd get wine, no wine even after 2 follow-ups at the front desk. When i entered my cabin, the welcome letter had someone else's name on it.

Dubrovnik

NCL offered WAYYYY overpriced excursions.

The port was beautiful, one of my favorites.

Corfu

This was my favorite port, not too crazy, not too busy, the views were incredible and the food even better.

Athens (Piraeus)

Another incredible. Beautful views, and food was a million times better than the ship!

Mykonos

Small pretty town, good relaxing day in port. Not much to do.

Naples

I loved Naples. We also went out to Sorrento which was a beautiful ride. Again great food and pretty city.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

SO much to do, bring your walking shoes!!! Also amazing food!

Florence (Livorno)

It was a cluster getting off the ship, make sure you hop on the 5 euro bus first then take the larger buses to Florence or Piza.

Marseille

Also a cluster when off the ship. There were 0 people directing people on how to get into the city. There was 1 bus into the city every 30-40 min for 2 large cruise ships.

Get in a taxi for 20 euro.

kbear100