3. Celebrity Equinox
The cruise itself was good. We had taken this exact cruise this past April and were excited for this itinerary again, only this time we were going on the cruise with both of my kids, ages 13 and 7. There weren't any specific things on the ship or during the cruise that were any different than last time - that being said, the same issues I had back in April, I had this time around as well. Embarkation - We flew into Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise. It took us probably close to 45 minutes waiting for a ride share. It was a little frustrating on that front. Mostly because, in the past, we've never really had to wait maybe more than 10 minutes or so. It was a bit chaotic in th queue and I don't think a lot of the ride share drivers were really patying too much attention. Once we got picked up, the drive was easy. Our hotel was almost directly across from the airport and the port. The next morning, we were picked up fairly quickly and made it to the cruise port in about 15 minutes. The check in process at the terminal was pretty quick. They were doing the facial recognition so they had my husband do it and then we were through. Security itself was fast, too. I think it took us...20 minutes from the time we walked into the terminal to getting on the ship. We were able to drop our things off in the room and get our cards and then we explored the ship. The ship - Equinox went through a refurbishment in May 2019 but it wasn't really a whole lot different aside from Cellar Masters becoming the craft beer bar. We sailed on this ship in April, just before the refurbishment, but aside from a couple minor things, it didn't seem like much changed. I think we ate half the nights in the MDR and in the buffet the other nights. The food is good, as it typically is. Our waiter was great in accomodating appetizers for my kids - a plate each of just pineapple and just watermelon. I do not have adventurous eaters. Entertainment - We didn't see but one of the shows and it was very good. It was a band performing The Beatles hits and songs by Paul McCartney. The entertainment staff was great. Dan, the cruise director, was very, very funny. He reminded me a lot of James Corden. There was a lot of trivia on this cruise, which was good because we're huge fans of trivia. There was an orchestra that was great plus a couple singers who sounded great. The port stops: Key West - This was our second stop in Key West this year and I love it. We did the old towne trolley since my kids joined us and they don't do walking long distances very well. I think I like the trolley better than the conch train, due to the fact that you can hop on/hop off. We got to the Southernmost Point fairly early so there was only a short line. If you're going to visit this, getting there later can cause headaches due to long wait times. We also went to the Hemingway Home and Museum again, this time for my kids. I say "for my kids" but the truth is, my husband and I also wanted to see the cats again. We ate at Two Friends Patio for lunch. Their buffalo fried shrimp was super good. My husband had breakfast and he enjoyed it as well. My son and I had a slice of key lime pie at Kermit's. Best key lime pie I've ever had. We finished off our time in Key West at the aquarium. I don't think the attraction, while cool, is worth the price of admission. It's very small and there's not a whole lot there. We did get to watch a shark feeding and we got to feed some fish as well. I don't think I'd pay more than $10/pp for it. All in all, it was a good visit. Costa Maya, Mexico - We went to Maya, Lost Mayan Kingdom and had an absolute blast! Neither my husband nor myself were expecting it to be much of anything but we really, really enjoyed it. The lazy river was fun, the kids waterslides were a big hit, and the relaxation pool was very relaxing. The staff were very friendly as well. My husband and I have said we'd definitely go back. Cozumel, Mexico - We went to Mr. Sanchos, which we do every time we're in Cozumel. Julio, who works the pool bar, remembered us from April of this year. The kids had fun there, too. The drinks were good, the food was good, and it was very relaxing. The only downside was that we had to be back on the ship by 330p. George Town, Grand Cayman - We took an excursion to the Cayman Turtle Centre to see sea turtles and it was probably the single best part of the entire cruise. We got to touch baby sea turtles, get in the water with them, and even snorkel with grown sea turtles. Best excursion of the whole trip and probably one of the best we've had on any cruise. We grabbed a late lunch at Margaritaville and while it was good, I'm not sure we'd go back. There didn't feel to be much urgency to anyone while we were there. Debarkation - The process of getting off the ship could have been better. There was no communication around the ship as to what luggage tags had been called yet unless you went into one of the restaurants. We heard a couple passengers ask and none of the staff seemed to know anything. When we were actually off the ship and heading to customs and immigration, it wasn't the smoothest there, either. There was a bit of confusion over where we were to go because they had two lines - one for passport holders and one for those using birth certificates. There was not any signage for families/groups using both passports and other documents. We were met with a little impatience when we asked which line we were supposed to be in. It didn't take too long to get our bags and getting out of the port itself was very, very easy. Now there were a few things that we didn't like all that much but only a couple things. The biggest issue I had - both back in April and this recent cruise - is the location of the library. Libraries are meant to be quiet spaces but when there's live music in the grand foyer, it's insanely loud in the library. Another issue was a lack of variety in food. I don't expect a cruise line to change up their menus every cruise or every month, but some variety would be nice. They had the same things in the MDR that they were serving back in April. 7 months is a good bit of time that revamping the menu could have been done. Especially with the ship having gone thru it's refurbishment. They could have been modifying the menus during those 29 days as well. I also had a bit of an issue with how they set up the rooms. We were in a balcony cabin that had a pull out trundle bed so that you could sleep 4 in the room. When the bed is pulled out, though, it leaves maybe 4" of room between the trundle and the dresser/vanity. Trying to get anything off the vanity once the trundle bed was pulled out was next to impossible. All in all - it was a very good cruise on a very nice ship.

Another Great Cruise

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by theinkykitty

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class

The port stops:

All in all - it was a very good cruise on a very nice ship.
theinkykitty’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C2
The cabin is spacious for two people but a little tight for 4 people. I think a max of 3 people for this time of cabin would be ideal. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Plenty of room for storing clothes and lots of space in the bathroom for toiletries.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins