3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
The transatlantic crossing was part of a two ship round trip to USA, Bermuda and Bahamas. The first part was a faultless sailing on Celebrity Silhouette. All the crew were welcoming and friendly. so good I am going again with Celebrity next Year. Then what a change. The crew on Queen Mary could barely look at anyone. The captain was most unwelcoming and it filtered down from there. The guest services staff were curt at best. There were exceptions especially the MDR where our waiters were efficient and extremely friendly. The photographers were very helpful. Sir Samuels was extremely slow for service over 35 minutes for a coffee but the waiters were extremely pleasant. The ships layout is challenging we spent over 40 minutes wandering around the ship to find a place to sit for a drink. It is elegant but dark and claustrophobic . You were always aware of the number of people onboard it felt much busier than Ventura earlier this year. There was a literature festival organised by The Times with some great authors for talks and book signings but Cunard managed to make a pigs ear of this. A significant number of guests were unaware of the event which overtook the entire ship severely reducing the available activities especially the planetarium which upset many. Conversely those who had booked through The Times thought the events were purely for them and we should not be taking part in the events. This caused a them and us divide amongst passengers which was entirely down to Cunard’s bad planning. They did send out literature for this event on 28 October by which time a lot of passengers like myself had already left home. Why so very late as there were aware of the event over 12 months ago. I was fortunately advised of the event by my travel agent when I booked. The authors were charming and welcoming such a contrast to the Cunard staff. My inside cabin was comfortable, spacious and well looked after by my cabin steward. I would never sail with Cunard again unless I was unable to fly. It did provide an acceptable passenger ferry service.

Never Again