3. Norwegian Breakaway
Our group included grandma and grandpa in their 70s, 2 couples with their 3yo and 2-5yos. Cruising out of Miami for first time ever and it was seamless. Stayed at Hollywood Beach and Suites for 2 nights pre cruise, highly recommend it. Excellent inexpensive food options in walking distance. $30 uber ride from hollywood beach area, 20 mins ride. arrived at port and about 20 mins later we had drinks in hand. We've been on Princess for an alaskan cruise, 2 Celebrity Mediterranean cruises, and 6 Caribbean cruises on different lines. Registered the kids at splash academy once on board. My 5 yo has been in splash 3 times now. and he loves it. The counselors are professionals and will do everything they can to make sure the kids are enjoying themselves so the adults can do the same. They go above and beyond. And have done so on all 4 of our NCL cruises. On the last sea day, they have a performance which use to be held in the main theater. This time it was in the atrium and was a huge success. They charge $6 per hour from 10:30pm to 1am to watch your kids. You read that right $6!!!!!!!! We have never done so. But for $6 bucks. The greatest deal on the high seas. We had a balcony right by the aft elevators on 13. Nick our cabin steward was top notch. Introduced himself to me right away in the hallway and asked if he can say hello to my wife and son who were in the cabin. One of the best cabin stewards we ever had. Balcony size will never be a make or break for me. I enjoy standing out there and feel the sea air and looking up and the stars. I'm not out there for breakfast or meals. But this might be the shallowest balconies on the high seas. I tend to not complain when I'm on vacation. Complaining just seems to ruin my relaxation time as quickly as possible. But with that said here are some critiques, and they all have to do with the food: MDR meals were decent to inedible. We ate in the Manhattan Room for all complimentary dinners. Had a pork chop one night and i wasn't able to cut through it with a steak knife. The seafood dishes were fair. I simply like my fish to taste like fish. But the fish options are all fish that are very mild in flavor. The appetizers seemed to be an extension of what was available from the buffet and was the same as what was on the menu from the last 3 years on the Breakaway and the Gem. The desserts were very good each night. The service in the dining room was excellent. Dining with 9 ppl including 3 kids may not be easy for some. But the staff handled everything great. They took the kids orders almost as soon as we sat down and we were able to whisk them away most nights to splash academy so we could finish our meals. The baked items on this ship was outstanding. The french bread was consistently ridiculous. everyone of us said it almost every day how delicious the breads were. This was our first time dining in specialty restaurants. They book quickly, Cagneys steakhouse was sold out for the entire cruise by the second night. We chose Le Bistro (French), Moderno (Brazilian Churrascharia), and Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi). I would say Le Bistro would qualify as fine dining. The sole dish I had was exceptional. As good as any dish I've ever had on a ship. Escargot, which use to be on many menus every night, (god i miss those menus), was as good as i remember it. Garlicky, buttery, and perfect with the bread.The mushroom soup was velvety and rich. The french onion soup in Le Bistro made the one they served in the MDR look like a bad joke. Everything was exceptional. Again we sat as a party of 9 (our kids behave very well when dining out) and it was excellent service. Moderno is eat till you can't. We've had churascharia many times before in New York and we enjoy it a lot. Service was good, food was good, cocktails were great. They made really great caipirinhas. Salad bar had plenty of options to please ppl with all tastes. Teppanyaki was a highlight for some in our party. We did this on saturday, last sea day. Our chef was Warren and he was fantastic, as was the chefs from the other tables from the other tables. Overall: food in mdr is below average. However the overall prices of trips have gone down, so paying for specialty dining makes sense to us in the future. We pick cruises primarily for the itinerary. But these days, a great children's program is important to us. And i feel that NCL has done an excellent job in this department.

A 3 generation family cruise, with a 3 yo and 2-5yos

Ages 3 to 6
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BC
Balcony rear of ship, excellent bathroom setup, quiet. No extraneous noise. Nick our steward was top notch.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins