3. Norwegian Breakaway
I noticed a marked decline in service and attention compared to previous cruises. Always liked NCL for their service and never had any complaints. This cruise on the Breakaway was a bit disappointing. We met some wonderful friends, and that is always a great and positive experience. First night's dinner at the "Manhattan" was chaotic. There seemed to be a lot of confusion on the part of waiters and service people, and it was extremely noisy. We were three for dinner, and asked our waiter for soup for first course. I did not request any aperitif. The waiter brought two Caesar's salads instead and a "Bruschetta" for me, who had not requested any. Since it was so busy, we did not say anything nor complained to anyone. As we were leaving the restaurant, one of the hostesses informed us that beginning the following night. bermuda shorts would not be allowed... only pants. Needless to say, we never returned to the Manhattan, instead ate all meals at "SAVOR", which is cozier, and the personnel very friendly, courteous and attentive. SHRIMP, if any form, is no longer in the menu. Not in cocktails, nor as any main dish. Although there was beef almost every night, Sirloin, roasted, baked, sliced, in a variety of ways and with different sauces. They were all excellent. No crab cakes for aperitifs... One night I asked for sea scallops for aperitif. I expected fairly sized ones, perhaps two the size of a Ritz cracker. I got 6 scallops, each the size of a Garbanzo bean, lined up 3 in each row on a huge round plate. It was funny. We, together with other friends, had all our meals together at the Savor, where the hostesses were really nice, friendly and very accommodating, since we were six. All the restaurant personnel went out of their way to accommodate us, since we had two people in our group who did not speak any English. Last year on the Getaway, everywhere we went there were bar personnel everywhere asking if we needed or wanted anything to drink. On the Breakaway, we practically had to look for them. Some in our group like to smoke a cigarette or two with their coffee or drinks. The only smoking place was a very small room, with glass walls and some vents for air. Sort of like a fish bowl, with a couple of vents. Very small, always full, and people standing, and even if you smoke, you can't wait to get out of it. An entire ship, carrying 4,000 people, and this is basically the smoking facility to accommodate 25 chairs along the walls. There is also the Spice H2O at the very top. They have some tables and chairs where one can smoke, or one can stand around, smoke and use the ashtray in somebody's table. So strange, one can go to the open air bar, and order a drink. One CANNOT smoke at the bar, but you can turn around and two feet away, there is a table with an ashtray. It used to be so nice, a few years ago, when one was able to enjoy the privacy of a stateroom balcony, enjoy a cocktail and a couple of cigarettes. Celebrity ships have actual grass lawn on the top deck. Lots of open air, to enjoy the sun, sip cocktails in tables, smoke, etc. Norwegian has climbing walls, and construction-type walk=about, which are probably used by less than 10% of all the passengers. I think it is wasted space. I had seen the spectacular Burn The Floor the first time on the Getaway last year. I thought it was super excellent. The stage scenery was of Old Havana, the music was much better and more livelier than this time. The dancing is always phenomenal. Choreography superb. The ship arrived in San Juan, PR at 5:30 pm... already getting dark. There were no other tours of the city, except "walking" tours of Old San Juan. In St. Thomas, we took an excursion to St. John, USVI, which was nice. In Tortola, we took an excursion to Long Bay Beach, on Beef Island, which was OK. Only two hours at the beach. Would have been better to take a taxi to the beach at Cane Bay, or Long Bay. The driver hardly narrated anything we saw (still a lot of damage from recent hurricanes) and the sound was bad, so we could hardly hear/understand what he was saying. When we returned to Miami, we packed the bags, and left them outside the stateroom about 8:00 pm and went to dinner. By ten they had been picked up. We chose to disembark at 8:30am, which were the light blue tags. I attached one tag to EACH side of the bag, and even with such a precaution, they managed to lose my bag. Had never happened before. There were no "connecting" ships to continue anywhere. My bag was not in the group with the light blue tags. Looked for it everywhere, called a supervisor and ended up having to fill out a lost baggage report. When I got home (Miami) I called and was informed that it could take two to three weeks for me to get the bag back. Then I read on one of the NCL's customer's contract agreement, that even if the bag is found, I could be subject to shipping charges! Imagine that! In addition to two light blue tags on my bag, I also had my own 4x3 plastic ID card with my name, address and phone number. Sometime in the afternoon I received a call from a lady in Ft. Myers, that apparently the driver picked up my bag in error and took it to Ft. Myers. Apparently anyone can go into what I thought was "sacred" territory of US Customs and walk out with any bag they like. In any case, after many calls to NCL, Guest Relations, Lost and Found, etc., NCL sent FEDEX to pick up my bag in Ft. Myers and bring it home to me, a week and one day later. Thankfully at no additional cost. I much prefer the medium sized ships. We have reservations to go on the Jade, 14-day Ultimate Baltic this coming June. Looking forward to it. Hope that the slight deterioration experienced on this cruise has not spread to all others ships. It was a mixed bag this cruise. We met some really lovely people and made friends for life. Perhaps one advantage of sharing a smoking table on H2O while having drinks was meeting other people from other countries with whom we shared laughs, good conversations and friendship. That makes you forget about the garbanzo-sized scallops!

7-Day Eastern Caribbean from Miami on the Breakaway.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Antoine Le Cubain

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom

Antoine Le Cubain’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin IC
It was tight. With 3 people in the cabin, there is hardly any space for bags, etc. The cabin steward Jonathan was very pleasant, professional and accommodating. We had to ask him to keep both upper beds lowered... one was used by a friend, and the other bed was used to place the bags and other items.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins