3. Royal Princess
I totally agree with "Overcrowding" situation described by another reviewer. They put over 5000 people on the ship (passengers and crew) but the elevators were the same size and number as on the 2000 passenger ships we've been on. But my REAL disappointment was with the Medallion thingie. It was announced two years ago and has been in "sea trials" for almost a year. I think we were on an inauguration cruise (or at least it felt that way). From my reading I expected (anticipated) the following: 1) Boarding would be LOTS faster than on Pre-Medallion cruises) 2) Getting drinks on the Lido Deck would be LOTS faster also 3) Finding our friends on the ship wouldn't require a pre-arranged meeting place and time 4) Seeing my bill would be simple Medallions are supposed to do other things but I didn't care about any other features. Here is what I found: 1) Boarding took the same amount of time - even though we had received our medallions in the mail prior to arriving at the port. For those people who didn't have medallions already, the line to get them was LONG - VERY long. 2) Getting a drink on the Lido deck STILL took longer than it took me to eat. I'd finished eating and was leaving as I watched the waiter go by with my drink. 3) We were quite intrigued by the idea of being able to locate our friends on the ship. Unfortunately setting up the medallion to do that proved impossible for us. We ultimately had to resort to having a crew member do it for us. It took him over 15 minutes to make it work. And we were not alone. The line to get help  was more than 30 people long all during the (rather limited) hours posted. We finally got someone to help on day 3 of the 7 day cruise. 4) The bill was supposed to be available via medallion. But when I accessed it, I was informed by the computer that my account didn't exist. So I had to get a copy from the Guest Services Desk. On the PLUS side, the medallion was a GREAT room key. But that was about the only thing it could do without problems. Other things: We wanted to play cards. But there is no card room. So we asked at Guest Services where we could go. They suggested: 1) Crown Grill - We coiuldn't because they were serving Pub Lunch there 2) Library - Nope was full (2 tables fill up quickly) 3) Sabatinis - No. A private function was going on. They had no other suggestions. So we left. Later we wandered toward the dining room to see what was for dinner. We had to do that because medallion doesn't include menus. We found the staff had set up both cards and games there. So why didn't Guest Services know about that? Food was good to VERY good except for breakfast which was boring. We ate at Sabatinis one night and had to apologize to our table mates for recommending it because the meal was quite ordinary - certainly not worth paying $29 each for it. The highlight of the cruise was the "word-of-mouth" Winemaker dinner. It wasn't advertised. We found out about it purely by accident. That meal raised my overall rating of the cruise from a "D" to a "C-". But overall, I have to say that Medallion-Class is a dud.

Medallion Class Review

Royal Princess Cruise Review by yukon-rose

From my reading I expected (anticipated) the following:

1) Boarding would be LOTS faster than on Pre-Medallion cruises)

2) Getting drinks on the Lido Deck would be LOTS faster also

4) Seeing my bill would be simple

Here is what I found:

Other things:

1) Crown Grill - We coiuldn't because they were serving Pub Lunch there

2) Library - Nope was full (2 tables fill up quickly)

3) Sabatinis - No. A private function was going on.

But overall, I have to say that Medallion-Class is a dud.
yukon-rose’s Full Rating Summary