3. Norwegian Bliss
This was our fourth trip on an Alaskan cruise and while it was the newest ship we sailed on, it was a freaking nightmare. We traveled on Norwegian 10 months prior and it was great, but it absolutely was all about the populace on the ship. It was an irritating challenge every time you wanted to eat at the buffet -- so so so many people. Bear in mind this ship holds well more than 4,000 people. Our balcony room was lovely, we had adjoining balcony rooms and that was great. Everything we did where we weren't surrounded by people was fantastic. I have some truly hilarious footage of the glacier bay cruising day. The woman in the cabin next to us refused to tend to her screaming screaming. screaming toddler the entire cruise day. I know you are thinking I am exaggerating. I would love to show you the footage. It was shocking. I was once the mother of a baby, toddler, child, youth and teen on a ship, and I tell you all she had to do was to take the clearly tired child into their room, close the drapes and lie on the bed with him. Easy peasy lemon squeezy It would have taken her about five min. instead, she opted to treat everyone two floors up and two floors below and probably the entire side of the ship to endless wailing. Lest you think I make much of an isolated incident, it was truly symptomatic of a ship that was. just. too. big. And it was summer season and there were a TON of kids. Kids are not the problem, it's the parents who behave as though their method of parenting is to allow the (too many for them to handle) children run around the formal dining room at lunch. Let them scream at random and apparently believe if they ignore the children they'll stop screaming. One girl walked up to our table and literally stood just touching me and watched me eat. Her parents said nothing. I said, "sweetie, don't you want to go back to your family's table?" she replied, "No," and I didn't blame her. I felt sorry for the people who had interior cabins. Man, they had to fight hard to get one of the cushy lounges that faced aft (great view). They were staked out with their things on them like it was on the beach at Cannes during the film festival. We were also directly on top of one of the bars/restaurants, so when you looked down from our balcony, and exactly level with the balcony floor, was a giant fiberglass canopy. CHECK where your room is situated! There were no other options when I saw (too late) online what our balcony would be like. We really never had any issues sitting in the dining room and they often managed to get us near a window. Food on the Norwegian is always hit and miss. It's better not to order the too "ethnic" meals because they're just weird. This means order the simplest food ion the menu It'll be best. If you order the Thai or Vietnamese or anything remotely exotic, it's a total crapshoot of how good or bad it's going to be. Sugar-free desserts are not worth it. Eat fruit. The ravioli with lobster sauce is delicious, loved it. Had it on the previous 12 day cruise and on this heinous trip. Staff was all around wonderful and lovely and attentive. Ships do not need to be this big. The result is close quarters to everyone. And it's no bueno.

Ship was too big, too many people, if you must, travel OFF SEASON

Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review by NJB_Cooper&Merrick

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Staff was all around wonderful and lovely and attentive.

NJB_Cooper&Merrick’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Bliss price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BX
Adjoining balcony cabins, it was great. Sleeping on a ship is dreamy.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins