3. Star Princess
We go to The Big Island twice a year and stay on the Kona side. This year we decided to cruise to the Islands rather than fly. It took getting used to not having any internet while we were at sea but we got used to relaxing, learning about art, learning about the islands from presentations from a naturalist, laughing with comedian Steve Caouette and meeting new people. Our first stop in Hilo. we enjoyed the Land of Fire and Ice excursion but made the mistake of eating at a food truck during our break for a quick lunch. My husband got horrible food poisoning that reared it's ugly head that evening. Our room steward told me to report it to the medical staff immediately so they could help him. BIG MISTAKE!! The put my husband in quarantine in our room! So we were unable to make our pre-paid planned excursion to Pearl Harbor & Mighty Mo and the following day's excursion on Maui. If I had just packed Imodium, we could have treated his food poisoning on our own and not involved the ship's medical staff!! We are new to cruising so we didn't know the complications of notifying the medical staff of such a treatable illness. LESSON LEARNED. At least Princess refunded our cost of excursions and paid for a lovely dinner at The Crown Grille for my husband and I for our inconveniences. We still enjoyed this cruise immensely. We would much rather stop on the Kona side of the Big Island but liked all of the other stops and felt the amount of time spent at each island was a good amount of time. I think we will try booking our own day trips rather than use Princess's excursions now that we know there are options. Princess handles the embarkation and disembarkation very organized and it works very well as long as the passengers pay attention to the directions given. Our room steward left a print out with instructions of how to proceed on the the day of disembarkation that made it all so easy. We were amazed there were still people who didn't know what to do! There were luggage porters available when we got our luggage making it easier to get our luggage to our car in the terminal. Everyone on board the Princess Cruises from the first person at our embarkation to the activities director, to our room steward to the person at disembarkation were friendly and so very helpful. It was a very cheery atmosphere. We couldn't help but have a great time! We are learning the tips about how to enjoy our cruises. This was our second cruise with Princess and just heard about CruiseCritic. Everything else on the cruise was great. We met some lovely people. We really enjoyed leaving out of Los Angeles since we live in Long Beach, CA. We will definitely cruise with Princess to the Hawaiian Islands and also hope to try a cruise to the Panama Canal!

Always pack Imodium! Lesson learned.

Star Princess Cruise Review by Spikette

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Spikette’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC
We loved the location of our balcony room! Right in the center so very little rocking and we wouldn't cruise without a balcony room.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Ensenada
    I realize the ship has to stop at a location outside of the US but Mexico is just not a safe place these days! We chose to stay on the ship and not take any chances.
    View All 518 Ensenada Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ensenada Cruise Port Review
  • Circle of Fire
    Our tour guide was excellent on this excursion! She shared her personal experiences with the stories of the changes of the island with the lava flow. She kept it interesting and was very personable.
    View All 8 Circle of Fire Reviews
  • Honolulu
    My husband got food poisoning in Hilo so the only trip I made at this stop was to Walmart for Pedialyte. I got talked into taking a bus that stopped at Maui Divers Jewelry store first before going into town. BIG MISTAKE!! It was a big sales pitch and push to buy their jewelry. Then I was going to have to wait over an hour for their bus to take me downtown! So I walked to Walmart and fortunately the bus from the Hilo Haties tour took me back to the ship!
    View All 673 Honolulu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Honolulu Cruise Port Review
  • Road to Hana
    The Road to Hana was interesting but the driver from the Polynesian Adventures tour company who lead the excursion was a bit aggressive on the road. He was getting angry at the other drivers an his driving was not smooth. He made some odd stops, like one where they sell organic banana bread and smoothies. I think he made this stop just so he could get his free smoothie provided to him by the owners of the little place for bringing in tourists! I think I would book our tour with an outside company now that I know that is possible.
    View All 99 Road to Hana Reviews